Wanted, ideally for nowt! : Old but working PCs

What's Hot
LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
edited April 2018 in Off Topic
Smoke signal... Please amplify! A local non profit boxing club and community centre that does a lot of work with some of my vulnerable kids are looking for some desktop pcs to enable people to come in and use their internet / do school work etc. They don't need to do much. Office type stuff, internet access (I've installed a network for them) and general light use.

They currently have 8 machines they were given a few years back (according to the stickers, they were last PAT tested in '08 and run XP!!) but can't find the admin password for them and they're locked down to guest accounts. It's not cost or time effective to rebuild them as they're relics. If anyone knows of anywhere getting rid of old machines, or you have one sitting around, please let me know. Happy to collect within reasonable distance, based in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited April 2018
    Hope you don't mind chaps but I've moved this to Off Topic where it'll get more traffic...given that I'm not offering to buy anything ....

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616

Think have a couple of old dell desktops here that were working fine........just upgraded for whatever reason over the years but not because they failed...

Can't have been used for 4/5 years though. When I get 5 I'll try fire them up & find out the spec......if they run they would be more than adequate for basic internet/email/office stuff that's for sure

One is a dimension 5000 the other an 8100....

I'd have to ship them up but that would be no prob as have boxes/packing materials here to protect them ok.

That the sort of thing or too old ??

• Cheers @bazxkr ; that's exactly the sort of thing, doesn't need to do anything spectacular. Just to help kids out with homework or let people come in and fire off emails etc. 

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    i might have a couple kicking about, let me see what i have mate 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28457
    I'm pretty sure I could donate my mum's old PC - runs Win7, but needs completely hosing, and I need to grab everything off the hard drive first.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Just a note, a Hirens boot could wipe the passwords on the existing machines.

Otherwise, I'll keep an eye out

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7341
    I just want to borrow or come for 20 mins to use an XT 8088 chip Dos 3.3 level machine to laplink my palmtop to to copy a floppy driver on to...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    We're moving offices soon and likely upgrading a lot of our machines...only problem is we're in Gloucester -_-
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    edited April 2018
    I've got a battered Dell desktop that's heading to the skip - it was working (Win7 machine), but I've taken the harddrive out. Its gratis if anyone wants it, but I'm in Northants.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• dhaywood67dhaywood67 Frets: 112
    The company I work for has 5 or 6 that have been 'retired'. Base units only and I'd need to check and re-install if you can collect at some point from Nottingham.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited April 2018
    The company I work for has 5 or 6 that have been 'retired'. Base units only and I'd need to check and re-install if you can collect at some point from Nottingham.
    They sound ideal actually and Nottingham is definitely within reach. Should I pm you?