Jaguar bridge p'up

What's Hot
wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 259
having bonded with my mim jag, while I love the sounds available from the stock neck p'up I find the single coil in the bridge pos a bit lacklustre, anyone tried a s/coil sized humbucker such as a JB jnr or similar & are there any issues fitting one to a jag apart from losing the chrome claw
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I'd personally get something wound to taste by mojo pickups. 
    If you email him and tell him what you are after he will sort you out
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2467
    Have you tried raising it more? I put a bigger bit of foam under mine and now the bridge pickup sounds way better.
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 259
    Thanks jimmy I have tried that, also changed the function of the strangle switch to ser/para which made quite a difference as well but not quite enough
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    mim jag ... love the sounds available from the stock neck p'up
    IMO, the neck pickup on Fender MIJ/CIJ/MIM Jags is what the bridge pickup ought to sound like.

the single coil in the bridge pos - a bit lacklustre
    It is supposed to be. The guitar was designed to be used with what we now consider Medium gauge strings. 

anyone tried a s/coil sized humbucker such as a JB jnr or similar
    Talk to the hand HarrySeven. When it comes to beefing up budget Jaguars, he is a repeat offender.

I'd personally get something wound to taste 
    Good idea. Some of the pickup makers on this forum produce P90-in-a-Stratocaster-size pickups. It would be no great hardship to build one to fit the Jaguar pickup cavity. One of those might answer the brief. Its adjustable polepiece screws would improve string-to-string volume balance.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    mim jag ... love the sounds available from the stock neck p'up
    IMO, the neck pickup on Fender MIJ/CIJ/MIM Jags is what the bridge pickup ought to sound like.

the single coil in the bridge pos - a bit lacklustre
    It is supposed to be. The guitar was designed to be used with what we now consider Medium gauge strings. 

anyone tried a s/coil sized humbucker such as a JB jnr or similar
    Talk to the hand HarrySeven. When it comes to beefing up budget Jaguars, he is a repeat offender.

I'd personally get something wound to taste 
    Good idea. Some of the pickup makers on this forum produce P90-in-a-Stratocaster-size pickups. It would be no great hardship to build one to fit the Jaguar pickup cavity. One of those might answer the brief. Its adjustable polepiece screws would improve string-to-string volume balance.

A decent Jaguar pickup has balls and grit and all the things you want. You dont need a strat pickup, a p-90 or any other pickup. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    meltedbuzzbox said:
    A decent Jaguar pickup has balls and grit and all the things you want.
    Clearly, the majority of Fender and Squier Jaguar pickups are not decent. :)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    meltedbuzzbox said:
    No they aren’t. And if you compare them to the pickups they are supposedly copying, it’s chalk and cheese. Those awful Duncan Designed pickups are terrible - genuinely - but they are better than the MIJ/MIM stuff and not far off the US made junk.

That is why we have proper pickup winders and ALL the good ones are busy right now.

TBH, I’m a Fender player but my ears tell me that other people are making far better Fender design pickups than they are right now.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• JD50JD50 Frets: 658

Perhaps look out for a 2nd hand AVRI pickup?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    meltedbuzzbox said:
    On guitar, no they're not. I have no grumbles with the bass pickups, however I am not a true bassist.

Impmann covered it pretty well above
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    I had a Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder for jag in the bridge of mine for a while. Sounded great but I have numerous humbucker guitars that cover that angle. In the end I opted for a pair of Lollar for jaguar pickups which are just so very sweet when compared with the stock Japanese pickups that were in mine. It is now a very usable studio toy which brings something to the table that none of my other guitars can. I guess it's the difference of enhancing the jag sound, as opposed to fundamentally changing it.  
    Trotter said:
    sweet when compared with the stock Japanese pickups that were in mine.
    Not difficult!
    JD50 said:
    Perhaps look out for a 2nd hand AVRI pickup?
    Only if you are brassic. (See impmann's post above.) The stock pickups from my AVRI '62 went to somebody on this forum. I never want to see them again. By some accounts, the AVRI '65 pickups are little better.

Trotter said:
    Lollar 
    Noice. I opted for Seymour Duncan Antiquity 1 and 2. (A2 magnets for the neck position. A5 magnets for the bridge.)

Trotter said:
    enhancing the jag sound, as opposed to fundamentally changing it.  
    You say enhancing. I say restoring.

Trotter said:
    It is now a very usable studio toy which brings something to the table that none of my other guitars can.
    Precisely, Watson. I tolerate the clunky ride because nothing else can produce some of those sounds.