Old gaming console revival

What's Hot
vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
edited April 2018 in Off Topic
After messing around with emulation on my Raspberry Pi, I quite fancied some more nostalgia gaming. I just pulled our old family XBox (original!) out of the back of the cupboard. It's dead, of course, so I opened it up. It's minging inside with dust-bunnies everywhere so I know what my weekend project will be. I reckon I know why it won't power up. I think these capacitors might be a tad past  their best o

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Just when I got excited you're telling me "it's dead  of course...".

:-(
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    @BigBearKris it will live again...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2085
    Mmmmm.....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3086
    An original Xbox isn't old! I've still got my 70s Grandstand console somewhere! Loves me some 8 bit stuff too. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The original XBox was launched in November 2001, it's nearly 17 years old. Quite venerable for electronic equipment. No valves though...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I've fixed the RROD problem on a few Xboxes in the past. 

Pretty much every day I fire up the Mr Do! ROM file on my computer to play the classic game from 80s pub arcade machines. 

We have an old Playstation, I'm dying to fire up Tekken again but we can never find the cables!
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Coincidentally I pulled an old N64 Dev kit out of the back of a cupboard at the weekend.
    It fired up no problem once I'd found the 110v transformer for it.
    The kids quite enjoyed Mario Kart 64 although they thought Banjo Kazooie was too hard.
    Kids these days eh?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Been playing some n64 myself recently. Brilliant fun, but diddy Kong racing on a flatscreen isn’t particularly pretty!
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    terada said:
    Been playing some n64 myself recently. Brilliant fun, but diddy Kong racing on a flatscreen isn’t particularly pretty!
    You can simulate a 90's 20" CRT by extending the controller cables and standing in the garden.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3288
    edited April 2018
    terada said:

How is it hooked up? 

I play DKR a fair bit amongst others, Pilotwings 64 still gets a lot of play too. Love my N64
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    After messing around with emulation on my Raspberry Pi, I quite fancied some more nostalgia gaming. I just pulled our old family XBox (original!) out of the back of the cupboard. It's dead, of course, so I opened it up. It's minging inside with dust-bunnies everywhere so I know what my weekend project will be. I reckon I know why it won't power up. I think these capacitors might be a tad past  their best o

@vasselmeyer If you can't get it running and still fancy a bit of xbox action I think I've got one in my loft that's going spare. It's not been powered on for a few years so I'd need to check it still works. I bought it to mod it and run emulators on it but never got around to it. Let me know if you want it and I'll dig it out and check it over. Could easily drop it off in Marple at some point.
    @RedRabbit That's pretty cool of you. I might do that if I can't rescue this one. 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    @vasselmeyer No problem.

I'm not at home tonight but I'll get it out and check that it works tomorrow.  I'm not sure what I've got in terms of leads and controllers but I'm guessing you've already got some?  Anything I find I'll bundle up with it.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7342
    on a similar vein, now somebody has ported the old FastTracker II to Windows. It was the first audio software many played around seriously with on a C64:

and in action:

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    Sesh said:
    I know exactly where my N64, unfortunately it's on the other side of the loft, behind a six foot high mountain of stuff. One day, one day....
    @Sesh Do it fella...you'll be thanking yourself once you get Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64 or Goldeneye running again.
  • And Mario Party 1-3, best of the series bar none
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    terada said:

How is it hooked up? 

I play DKR a fair bit amongst others, Pilotwings 64 still gets a lot of play too. Love my N64

hooked up by the aerial cable thing to a 1080p 32" TV. 

Doesn't look great but still a load of fun!

Just wish the joysticks on the controllers weren't so loose!

• terada said:
    terada said:

How is it hooked up? 

hooked up by the aerial cable thing to a 1080p 32" TV. 

Doesn't look great but still a load of fun!

Just wish the joysticks on the controllers weren't so loose!

Yeah RF is horrible on modern TVs, so is AV.. but AV into scart is great, easily the best way to connect to flatscreen without modding the console.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1847
    Sesh said:
    I know exactly where my N64, unfortunately it's on the other side of the loft, behind a six foot high mountain of stuff. One day, one day....
    @Sesh Do it fella...you'll be thanking yourself once you get Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64 or Goldeneye running again.
    Arg. Now I'm looking a the list of N64 on wikipedia trying to remember what games I had.

So far:
    Body Harvest. Forgotten about that one. Actually pretty good.
    F1 world grand Prix. Ok
    Fifa blah blah
    Forsaken. Tricky controls, but quite good.
    Goldeneye. Truly great
    ISS 64. I remember paying £65 for this game. Fuck me. Great though.
    Zelda - OoT. Wow. One of the best ever
    Mariocart. Classic
    Perfect Dark. Goldeneye II. Better gameplay, silly story.
    Premier Manager. Awful
    South Park. Quite bad
    Starfox. I'm sure I had this but can't remember anything about it.
    Star wars- shadows... Good game
    Star wars- rogue squadron. Good
    Mario 64. Awesome
    Top gear rally. Remarkable longevity considering it only had 4 tracks.
    Turok. Fun shooting dinosaurs.

I wonder what other games I'd find?

Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.