Well now this is impressive... (Greg Howe content)

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
For a while now, I've pondered trying to learn "Jump Start", my favourite track by one of my favourite players, Greg Howe, but even the intro sounds pretty much insurmountable... check this out:

That's before you get to the incredibly fast tapping runs and so on. I even looked at a tab and it seemed like an impossible challenge - the fretting positions seem so weird and unintuitive, so I was giving up hope until I found this guy playing it perfectly, including slowing it down... playing starts at 0:35:

The thing that got me was just how close he sounds to the original - really impressive, no mean feat.

We must have some Greg Howe fans on here?
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    Guy in the second video - must have taken some serious balls to attempt that.

The soul patch/fedora combo, I mean
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10705
    Bucket, I think you would really enjoy lessons with him; he would show you everything :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Howe is bloody good and on the latest Simon Phillips CD Protocol 4 he plays great!
  • BradBrad Frets: 662
    Great tune and album, it was on heavy rotation for me about 10 years ago. Forget the tapping stuff (as impressive as that is), it's his innate sense of groove when soloing that really stands out for me.

I take it you've heard Extraction? 
    jdgm said:
    Howe is bloody good and on the latest Simon Phillips CD Protocol 4 he plays great!
    Did you see him at Ronnie Scott’s?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    viz said:
    jdgm said:
    I wish....too expensive for me now. I DID see the 1st night of Jeff Beck there back in 2007(?) and that was £80!
    Since then I've only been back to Ronnie's once to see Tribal Tech which was £40. A mate of mine just saw the Steve Gadd band with Michael Landau, said they were as amazing as you'd expect.
    I am old enough to remember going there in the 70s for £3 or £5, parking for free in Soho Square, staying all evening and leaving well after 1a.m....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    jdgm said:
    viz said:
    jdgm said:
    I wish....too expensive for me now. I DID see the 1st night of Jeff Beck there back in 2007(?) and that was £80!
    Since then I've only been back to Ronnie's once to see Tribal Tech which was £40. A mate of mine just saw the Steve Gadd band with Michael Landau, said they were as amazing as you'd expect.
    I am old enough to remember going there in the 70s for £3 or £5, parking for free in Soho Square, staying all evening and leaving well after 1a.m....
    Nice!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Great track, and that guy does an amazing job of it, doesn't even look like he's trying either!  
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    @Bucket - got what looks like the official tab for it if you want it. First part at least looks like what this guy is playing. 
  • Great playing and teaching , A+.

Leaving his fly unbuttoned for the close up, D-.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    Greg Howe?

Greg: "I dunno man, I just do what I do".
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @Bucket - got what looks like the official tab for it if you want it. First part at least looks like what this guy is playing. 
    I remember authorised transcriptions for this album being released a few years ago.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    DLM said:
    I remember authorised transcriptions for this album being released a few years ago.
    yeah - it's on Scribd which I subscribe to. Really useful site.
  • There's some nasty face pulling going on there.
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1078
    The official transcriptions were done by Eric Wirsing here's his version of JS 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4k-xd1yuB8   

The book is very cool and has all the correct fingerings hammers/pulls/taps/hammers OFNW ect

id say any of the tunes on that album are a great way to lvl up pretty much and aspect of your playing
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1078
    The official transcriptions were done by Eric Wirsing here's his version of JS 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4k-xd1yuB8   

The book is very cool and has all the correct fingerings hammers/pulls/taps/hammers OFNW ect

id say any of the tunes on that album are a great way to lvl up pretty much and aspect of your playing
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 867
    The 'maragold' band he did - pop rock with an awesome female vocalist - is really good!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoJoKeMoJoKe Frets: 5
    viz said:
    jdgm said:
    We did, so lucky, a treat for my other half's birthday...  OMG, epic.  We thought we were going to be in trouble ending up sitting rather too close to Simon's floor toms, but the PA in there is so good, made it all really well balanced!  In the house it sounded great, but if anything from where we were, Greg's stage volume could have been nudged up a tiny bit...
    MoJoKe said:
    viz said:
    jdgm said:
    We did, so lucky, a treat for my other half's birthday...  OMG, epic.  We thought we were going to be in trouble ending up sitting rather too close to Simon's floor toms, but the PA in there is so good, made it all really well balanced!  In the house it sounded great, but if anything from where we were, Greg's stage volume could have been nudged up a tiny bit...
    Yes it was great wasn’t it! Catalyst was just so brilliant. Did you hang around at the end?