What's so bad about plexi amps ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Mine is a bit old now, a 50w small box JMP. I bought it used when it was ten years old in 1978. For the next couple of decades people kept telling me I should get a proper amp and get rid of that old thing.
    It's been gigged all over and regularly until just a few years ago when I added an HRD for those posh gigs when a tatty marshall gives the wrong impression to those paying the big bill. I bought a flight case for it about that time too since the original cover was torn and the logo worn off.
    I link the two 'chanels' to blend them and have the volume about 2+. With a pedal board in front it gives up the goods night after night. Bell like tones with clarity and dynamics and it can be pushed into a gentle dynamic overdrive in a very controlled way. Few modern amps I've played (not that I'm looking), get close to it. I really miss it when I have to use something else. And I haven't mentioned the phenominal reliability yet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    What's not to like? Nothing at all. They're excellent.

Although I have noticed on recordings that even "clean" sounds don't appear to be that "clean". Live, they're lovely.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    what about a jmp50 black flag version, I'm assuming it might be a bit more user friendly due to the valve rectifier and not as aggressive as the solid state versions
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Because no other amp sounds like a plexi. They sound amazing and sound like this....

Flick to 8 mins in to hear it or listen to the whole thing for a huge amount of geeking out

https://youtu.be/c5Zo_iOXaRg
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    what about a jmp50 black flag version, I'm assuming it might be a bit more user friendly due to the valve rectifier and not as aggressive as the solid state versions
    No, not really! It’s quite a subtle difference - more just a slightly fatter tone rather than less gain or volume.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• They are painfully loud amps. But what a clean sound... Full of balls. Best way to describe them!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life