Not for guitars but new amp nonetheless

Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Very nice!  Is it the 15?  Commendable that he follows the original circuits exactly.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Its the 25. On the phone he sounded very proud of it saying "It's my best yet".
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    They look a really tidy "old school" build with easy servicing in the future.     
    ESchap said:
    That was my other reason for buying it. The sound of those things is truly wonderful (Peter Walker was good but Arthur Radford was Damn Good), but I once bought a product with parts made of unobtanium that nobody knows how to service and it has unfortunately become a pile of expensive junk. I'm hoping this will last me for the rest of my life.
    ESchap said:
    That was my other reason for buying it. The sound of those things is truly wonderful (Peter Walker was good but Arthur Radford was Damn Good), but I once bought a product with parts made of unobtanium that nobody knows how to service and it has unfortunately become a pile of expensive junk. I'm hoping this will last me for the rest of my life.

I've got a pair of mid-60's Quad II's that I am slowly restoring.  Cursing the very neat "laced" wiring as I'll never be able to reproduce its tidiness when finished.  However otherwise pretty easy to renovate.  I've also got a matching Quad stereo valve pre-amp as well, but that may have to wait as it is a nightmare to work on  .. so much crammed into a small space.
    @ESchap I wish you well with the Quad project :) I did once think about having Quads (I keep a 303 and a 405-2 in my music room, and the same again in my hifi lounge with a 33 preamp & tuner) but I'll never forget hearing a John Williams record being played on a system that included a Radford power stage, it was 40+years ago and I've wanted one ever since.
    Finally got this amplifier home and installed on Friday evening. By the end of Saturday evening I had decided that the Series 5 STA-25 is not only the best HiFi amplifier I have ever owned, it is also the best I have ever heard.

Some of you might think that you get more bass slam from a modern design, and I concede that the Radfords were not designed with Dub Reggae or Drum&Bass in mind. To a point, HiFi is subjective whereas %THD and frequency response curves are measurable things and you might well find modern designs with better figures. All I can say is that my ears like Radfords :)
    Excellent!   That's why I like vinyl through valves into old school speakers (large!)  Never mind the THD, I like a bit of "looseness" around the edges and of course vinyl and valves do that just right.  To me most music just sounds wrong without it.