Parts Tele finally complete

What's Hot
bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1385
edited April 2018 in Guitar
I've had most of this guitar (and half of a different one from before I'd settled on doing a Tele) sitting around for ages as I accumulated enough bits to get it finished. Now, it's all done!

Allparts neck from @rexter ;;
Relic body picked up from @Gassage ;;
Mojo goldfoil
Oil City Firebird pickup (actually the neck pickup from a set of 2)
Axecaster bridge
500k pots 
tuned to open E (B E B E Ab b )

The parts have come together really well and it feels like a solid guitar with a great sound. I'm not sure if I'll stick with the current tuning or whether I'll switch to open G. I'd also like to refinish the body at some point and possibly upgrade the bridge but for now, it's all good.
1reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30932
    Bill, glad the body worked out. Assume no issue with the metric neck pocket?

Re refin, speak to Scott, as he already offered to do it

James.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1385
    Gassage said:
    Bill, glad the body worked out. Assume no issue with the metric neck pocket?

Re refin, speak to Scott, as he already offered to do it

James.
    Nope, it all came together very nicely (so I'm told by the chaps in the LGS  :) )

Refin isn't likely to be on the cards for a while, which gives me plenty of time to debate colours with myself!
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Like the reverse arrangement of knobs and pickup switch, the first thing I'd do if I had a Tele :) No way it would be refinished if it was mine, it looks great to me :)
  • telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    Kudos for the unorthodox pickup choice. =)
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    edited April 2018
    It's a YES from me (well, a wow actually)!
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Looks great Billy! NIce choice of parts. Hit me up if you do ever want it refinned - i'll do  you a good deal to match the neck!
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Like it!
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I also like the Traynor amp.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I always think there should be more Teles with Firebird pickups. Even Fender in their 'Pawn Shop/Parallel Universe series' haven't bothered with it. Instead is Enforcers and fake WRHBs nonsense.
    Babones said:
    I always think there should be more Teles with Firebird pickups. Even Fender in their 'Pawn Shop/Parallel Universe series' haven't bothered with it. Instead is Enforcers and fake WRHBs nonsense.
    In terms of "humbuckers that sound like SCs", it seems that the firebird beat the WRHB to the punch.
    I was fed up with my strat the other weekend, and very bored. So I converted the tele to something more normal. It's a bluesy beast.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12400
    Love it mate, really want a gold foil in my Tele now!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1782
    That's gorgeous! How would you compare the goldfoil to a normal tele neck pickup?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9347
    A gold foil is probably my next pickup gas to put in a guitar. Good choice
    BigMonka said:
    That's gorgeous! How would you compare the goldfoil to a normal tele neck pickup?
    it's got less muddy frequencies, it's quite midrangey but a kind of weird thing where it's like an amp's presence knob is up or bright switch engaged.

The bridge pickup is probably a nocaster but the base plate is copper and most seem to have silver-coloured ones. It's almost bang on 7k, black winding, yellow and black cloth leads, out of phase with the mojo (that was a new one on me but it's sorted now). I'm quite surprised that most descriptions peg it as a middy tele pickup but it's got in-your-face amounts of treble to me. It's alright tho. The guitar sounds great, plays great, probably the lightest of my guitars at the minute.