Wudtone CP tremolo advice

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited May 2018
    Ive never had a strat with strings going slack at the bridge in nearly 35 yrs, not saying it fidnt happen in your case but it smacks of engineering for a problem that doesnt exist as is themorm for my place of work
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    edited May 2018
    @jaymenon. You should check out the Hipshot Tremsetter. It keeps the tremolo rigid in place for string bending but allows you to use the Trem with the whammy bar still. Just came across it a couple of days ago. 
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 818
    Hi Erik,  I don’t have a problem with other strings going flat when I bend one string, that’s integral to any tremolo.  For double stops you can’t beat a telecaster :-)

my Charvel GG has a tremol-no  that allows me to ‘hard tail’ it -  I don’t really use  that facility very much, and it does bug me a bit when the tremol-no wobbles when the unit is left loose / unlocked.  (Only evident when the instrument is played acoustically, not through an amplifier)

However, it does bug me when I bend a string on a strat - and it doesn’t come back in tune afterwards.  That is something I have noticed with every single Stratocaster I have ever played.

Strings hanging at the saddles is a fundamental feature of any non-locking tremolo. Which is why GG went with a non fine tuner floyd and Suhr are in the process of coming out with a  bridge with locking saddles that will retrofit onto a Gotoh 510 /  American standard rout.

I had heard that the traditional tremolo with six screws sounds better than the twin post bridge.  Of course you can’t know for certain unless you fit both kinds of bridges to exactly the same guitar -  it’s very difficult to decide how much each of the other components is contributing to tone.  But my Wudtone Strat bridge does sound lovely -  and I’ve learnt how to use it  and keep it in tune .
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    edited May 2018
    It’ll be interesting to see the Suhr saddles when they’re released. 

The name’s Rik actually rather than Erik. FYI I’m the guy whose montage 1x12 you bought in Beccles. :-)
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 818
    Hi Rik - my apologies for not making the connection...! Hope you’re keeping well...