Replacing boss pedal switches

TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1847
After extolling the bombproof nature of the boss pedals the switch on my TR2 is failing.

Are they easy to source and replace?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72575
    Try some contact cleaner/lubricant in it first. You don't need to open the pedal up, just squirt some in around the plastic plunger, it should penetrate to the mechanism.

Failing that you can open them up and clean the contact, but it is a bit fiddly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1847
    Ok I'll try that - thanks 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

I don't know the switch but if you DO end up having to change them, "dismantle" them on the PCB as far as you can then, using side cutters, isolate each pin. Remove as much solder as you can with wick (I do NOT like suckers!) then, hold the pin with pliers and heat it just enough to remove it...Don't pull!

Another technique (but messy!) is the 'heat and bang' scenario. Have the PCB upside down, heat the pin and bang the board on a vice or block of wood. Pin should drop out. You can remove the 'wee'er' pots this way. Flood all pins with a slobber then bang. Pot should drop out. N.B. "She " (WMBO) will not be amused by shower of solder particles in the kitchen and do NOT say "Dave told me to!"

Dave.

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1847
    Switch cleaner did the job 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72575
    Great! Until very recently I had only ever had to replace three of them in over thirty years of repair work. Now it's four...

ecc83 said:

I don't know the switch but if you DO end up having to change them, "dismantle" them on the PCB as far as you can then, using side cutters, isolate each pin. Remove as much solder as you can with wick (I do NOT like suckers!) then, hold the pin with pliers and heat it just enough to remove it...Don't pull!

Another technique (but messy!) is the 'heat and bang' scenario. Have the PCB upside down, heat the pin and bang the board on a vice or block of wood. Pin should drop out. You can remove the 'wee'er' pots this way. Flood all pins with a slobber then bang. Pot should drop out. N.B. "She " (WMBO) will not be amused by shower of solder particles in the kitchen and do NOT say "Dave told me to!"

They aren't PCB-mounted ;). Clipped into a hole in the pedal casing and with flying leads to the pins. (And a bit of glue to hold the wires in place.) That's all good advice for PCB work in general though - I actually like a solder-sucker, but each to their own :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

Ok IC, brought up on GEC telly print, effing stuff peels if you just SNEEZE at it!

Dave.