Guitar Stuff on YT - please stop.

What's Hot
AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
Evening all - 
the following post is a (polite) rant. Like most of you, I’m guessing, I do enjoy a good cruise around the nether regions of Youtube looking at guitar vids. I’m not too interested in lessons or ‘how to plays’, but I enjoy watching other people play - famous or not - and gear reviews.
However -  most of it’s shit, isn’t it! Probably 75% of electric guitar stuff is squealing, distorted indulgent jerk off shredding while the rest of it is ‘good ol’ boy’ sub SRV blues noodling. Then there’s posts that bill themselves as The Most Awesome/Best Guitar Player In The World - and we get a mobile phone clip of an adequate busker.
I’m used to that stuff. The place is full of it. But I present for you the most pointless clip of all time. A man talking about a piece of kit that he doesn’t actually have or hasn’t actually tried. I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eETqS8jtyj4
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    And why do they all wear hats?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11765
    AlexC said:
     But I present for you the most pointless clip of all time. A man talking about a piece of kit that he doesn’t actually have or hasn’t actually tried. I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry!

He does have a bottle of Fanta though, and as he can't even make a video without one, as a result possibly diabetes.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    AlexC said:
     But I present for you the most pointless clip of all time. A man talking about a piece of kit that he doesn’t actually have or hasn’t actually tried. I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry!

He does have a bottle of Fanta though, and as he can't even make a video without one, as a result possibly diabetes.
    I just assumed he was going to play some Pop music.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    AlexC said:

This has been a genuine LOL video -- thank you.  Surreal. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    I couldn’t manage the three minutes, that’s an incredibly pointless video. Worse than dull actually quite irritating. People subscribe to him as well. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    There were loads of those verbose self indulgent videos when PRS announced the Silver Sky, none of them had the guitar but a lot of them photoshopped the guitar into their thumbnail to make it look like they had it. To any you tuber who did this, I think I hate you more than Donald Trump and I can no longer watch any of you videos. Soz.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I do hope you’ll all be subscribing to my Ferrari channel. In which I drive around in a VW Golf talking about Ferrari’s.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Nearly as bad as those videos where you’re led to expect a demo/review, but only get a 15 minute slideshow of photos of the guitar to a crushing rock soundtrack, played on some other guitar no doubt...
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    The one that gets me is people demoing Tube screamer type pedals.

"And here's my clean sound..."

Waste of time 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4174
    dindude said:
    There were loads of those verbose self indulgent videos when PRS announced the Silver Sky, none of them had the guitar but a lot of them photoshopped the guitar into their thumbnail to make it look like they had it. To any you tuber who did this, I think I hate you more than Donald Trump and I can no longer watch any of you videos. Soz.
    Yeah I just read the review in Guitarist in which they talked about the hype for this guitar on the internet.  All of which has passed me by, it must be said.

Why all the fuss?  It was only ever going to be a well-made Strat knockoff with a funny-shaped peghead.

Which, coincidentally, is pretty much what the mag concluded.
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited May 2018
    This is the most useless and irritating demo i've come across: 

It seems their videos have completely gone to shit ever since half their staff walked out. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26593
    Fortunately, I find that my Helix has entirely cured me of the compulsion to watch such videos. When I used to, though, I discovered that precisely none of them ever talked about or proposed to solve any of the problems I wanted to. Mainly the ergonomics of my guitar rig - in terms of being lightweight, simple to use with plenty of functionality and with a signal path that didn't involve the lead boost being a simple gain boost without an associated volume increase (soooo many people think you'll have a pet sound guy at every gig...).

I did have it in mind to make a channel which discusses all these issues, which led to the discovery that I have the kind of voice and personality which best suits silent films.
    <space for hire>
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
    Paul Davids is great for inspirational tuition. Dave Price too, although more song based but it's all valuable information.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    edited May 2018

I imagine the world of Youtube will change dramatically over the next 5 years. Essentially, I think a lot of people are seeing it as an easy way to not have a normal job. That's fine, as long as you are really good and entertaining. They do need to be aware that thousands of others are trying for a cut of it as well.

One thing I used to like was the Slenderman documentary that a group of people in the USA recorded then uploaded to Youtube every few weeks. That was clever and a good way to get into amateur horror. Plus it took a LOT of work.

Watching someone who can solo but can't write music or play in a band? Nope.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom