External Rendering Advice

ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
edited April 2018 in Off Topic
What is best type of traditional or modern render that gives a flat paintable finish? It's only the top half of the house (1930's build) 6mx3.5m and the old render needs to come off.

Basic sand and cement
Mineral render ????
Silicone render ????
Acrylic render ????

All I want is a flat smooth finish that I can paint. But, companies only seem to advertise Krend or Tyrolean (has a textutured effect) finishes, which I don't want. 

Cheers in advance for any advice.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1847
    . Why don't you want to K rend? We just had out whole house done in it and it's amazing and I'll never have to paint it. From a few feet away it looks smooth anyway
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Can look patchy after a few years and will need painting over - like my next door neighbours house.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I was about to say 60fps at 1080p but then I saw it was about painting a house..... oops
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2417
    We had ours done in sand and cement. Getting the old render off was an absolute bugger, I think they'd used concrete!
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2417
    ... and the sand/cement finish was reasonably easy to paint.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    You can obviously use a standard sand/cement render ideally with a little hydrated lime in the mix in a 2 coat application ie ;a scratch coat and then smooth top coat ( the lime will enable a smoother finish )........this will need a mist coat and at least 2 coats of masonry paint such as Dulux smooth Weathershield. Will need repainting every 5 years at least.
     K-rend or similar silicon render is quicker ,not quite as smooth and self coloured.Supposedly it never requires painting but my experience is that it will however it will stay looking cleaner and smarter than sand/cement for longer.......if your neighbours looks patchy it's because it wasn't a good job in the first place.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    If you go for sand and cement, put a coat of stabilising solution on it first to seal it. One coat of masonry paint on top is then usually enough to cover well. I did the outside of our extension like this 3 years ago and it still looks brand new. 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    . Why don't you want to K rend? We just had out whole house done in it and it's amazing and I'll never have to paint it. From a few feet away it looks smooth anyway
    Is that the self coloured render? They stuck a load of that on a new development down the road from me some 15 years ago. Within 5-10 years a lot of it was fading/washed out and stained with bird shit and many have ended up having it painted.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    @Dominic @boogieman ;

Thanks for the info and advice. Sand and cement it is then. With it being a relatively small area I don't mind painting it every 5 years to freshen it up. Regarding the stabiliser, something generic like this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sandtex-quick-dry-masonry-stabilising-solution-4ltr/21100
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    edited April 2018
    Zoolooter said:
    @Dominic @boogieman ;;

Thanks for the info and advice. Sand and cement it is then. With it being a relatively small area I don't mind painting it every 5 years to freshen it up. Regarding the stabiliser, something generic like this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sandtex-quick-dry-masonry-stabilising-solution-4ltr/21100
    Yup that’s what I used. Got mine and the Sandtex masonry paint from Screwfix, they were doing a deal at the time. 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Yeah Sandtex stabilser is pretty good stuff. Used it succesfully in the past to stabilise damaged render areas before patching up.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    Yup......Sandtex stabiliser is excellent although you will get the same result from Unibond 15% water wash.
    Prefer Dulux Weathershield finish to Sandtex although both very good.