Swapping Out A Telecaster Bridge

What's Hot
Does anyone know if the American Professional Telecaster Bridge would drop in as a direct replacement on a 2003 American Standard?

They look really similar with regards the string holes being in front of the mounting screws rather than behind like a vintage style bridge.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14520
    Looks from photographs as if it does. 

One caveat. With the Am Pro bridge adopting the same footprint as a vintage style stamped steel bridge, it will leave a strip of finish exposed where the original bridge used to end. There may also be marks left in the finish where it was compressed under the steel.

Your other option is to just replace the stock compressed steel powder saddles. Fender Deluxe solid stainless steel ones, Callaham replacement stamped steel "Strat" style saddles or the revised Fender ones that borrowed the Callaham idea.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Pretty sure someone on TDPRI overlayed pics of both and the string through holes lined up. Obviously there will be drilling of mount holes required (3 vs 4)
    This is my unscientific opinion but I don't think the brass barrel saddles work well with that string through placement. Due to the diameter of the barrels you end up having the strings wrap right around them and very near 90degree down into the through holes.
    I'd go with 1/4 inch steel saddles if making the swap to a vintage style bridge - I think the smaller diameter will be more forgiving.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    Aren’t the American professional bridges 3 hole mount like the American standards?
    @gavin_axecaster a slight digression but I don’t suppose you’ve had any news on when you might be getting those Telecaster bridges with Bigsby Cut always back in stock?
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    Duppy03 said:
    Aren’t the American professional bridges 3 hole mount like the American standards?
    No. The two outer holes may line up, I'm not sure.
    See what I mean about the barrels/string path?
    Duppy03 said:
    @gavin_axecaster a slight digression but I don’t suppose you’ve had any news on when you might be getting those Telecaster bridges with Bigsby Cut always back in stock?

No idea. Allparts UK cancelled my order and won't tell me why.
    I have one of my other suppliers making a sample, so hopefully it won't be too much longer.

I did a closer inspection on Photoshop last night and i think your right, everything seems to line up but it would need those extra two holes drilling.

I had thought about the six stamped saddles approach but the American Standerds from my era have the offset steel saddles. Did Fender ever make them? I see Callaham did.

Cheers for the heads up on the Bigsby cut bridges. I’ll keep my eye on here and your site for updates :)
    tFB Trader
    The US Standard changed in 2008(?) and they ditched the offset saddles for centred bent/stamped steel strat style saddles. As far as I know Fender never sold the bridge assembly separately (annoyingly Fender doesn't list the model on their service diagrams site so can't find the product code for the bridge) but Stratosphere used to have them. The 2008 and later bridge is a direct replacement for the earlier Standard/Series/Deluxe bridge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    From my Photoshop exercise last night it looks like the bridge plate of the 2008 onwards Tele’s had the same 4 hole fixings as the current Pro models. So other than the saddles they look like the same part
    tFB Trader
    Definitely 3 as per the earlier series/standard.
    Check out Darren Riley's site - this is a leftie (seems it was available aftermarket) and there's a pic from the back showing the 3 mount holes.
    http://darrenriley.com/store/american-telecaster-0075109000/

Ah right, great detective work! So it that would work as a direct replacement without a hitch then.
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    There are now a few manufacturers making replacement bridges for the US Std Tele, so you do have some options - Callaham and Hipshot both spring to mind. I had a US Std Tele back in '89 and back then if you didn't get on with the bridge and those sintered steel saddles it was tough luck - there were no alternatives available. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14520
    Duppy03 said:
    I had thought about the six stamped saddles approach but the American Standards from my era have the offset steel saddles. Did Fender ever make them? I see Callaham did.
    No. Fender did not produce bent steel saddles with the offset intonation adjustment screw.

FWIIW, I have a set of the Callaham US-width saddles. They used to be on an Am Std Stratocaster until I traded it with HarrySeven. These have taken on the slightly tarnished matt appearance of Nickel plating. 

https://i.imgur.com/3ickFiE.jpg?1
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.