NGD: Hipster Guitar Alert

What's Hot
AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
What else is a man with sailor tattoos on his hands supposed to play ;)

Picked this up yesterday morning and I'm really liking it. I traded it for the AV59 Strat I was selling on here which was a bit of a gutter as I knew from the first play it wasn't for me. Strange how it works when you want a guitar for years and then play it and it's a no...

2003 AVRI 62 JM In really nice condition few nicks which show somthing really cool a shoreline gold coat of paint sitting under the Candy Apple Red. Is this normal ? I'm sure I've read before they used to always use a gold or silver undercoat for the 60s metallics.!?

I'm a big fan of the glassy / Piano Strat tones and this has them but much thicker sounding more lows and mids. 
Takes pedals really well too, I'd say better than most other guitars I've played.

The OG knobs are in the case which I'll put back on and I'm not sure about upgrading the bridge and trem as I don't feel it needs it. I've had a Jazzmaster before which clearly did need the mods ( a classic players series, this is miles ahead).

Anyone else own the AVRI Jazzmasters? 

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Lovely. You won't need any bridge mods as you've already got the buzz stop on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Lovely guitar, now lets see the sailor tats on ya Germans.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    You're a bit late to the hipster boat mate. 
    They're all playing semi hollows now
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    You're a bit late to the hipster boat mate. 
    They're all playing semi hollows now
    Haha! Always behind the curve. I've got a 330 if that counts ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That will put you in good stead. Bonus points for a massive beard, lumber Jack shirt and skinny jeans with doc martins
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1210
    Wow, that looks nice. Now replace original knobs, remove buzz stop and bridge cover and it'll be even nicer!
    Link to my trading feedback
    Nice guitar btw, and I hate to be that guy but it will play and sound better by taking off the buzzstop and fitting a staytrem or a mastery (I won't start that debate).
    I'd also strongly suggest you look at a set of mojo pickups with an overwound bridge and I promise you it will sing like Rhianna and hit like Chris Brown)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nice guitar btw, and I hate to be that guy but it will play and sound better by taking off the buzzstop and fitting a staytrem or a mastery (I won't start that debate).
    I'd also strongly suggest you look at a set of mojo pickups with an overwound bridge and I promise you it will sing like Rhianna and hit like Chris Brown)

I'm pretty bad for chopping and changing guitars so I'll probably need to see how I get on with it after the initial Honeymoon period is over before I start throwing money at it.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14465
    AlexO said:
    shoreline gold coat of paint sitting under the Candy Apple Red. Is this normal?
    Yes. CAR is transparent red over opaque gold metallic.

IMO, the three-ply red/white/black pickguard looks cheap 'n' nasty. Proper Fender tort should be browner, four-ply and with a shallower edge bevel angle.

AlexO said:
    Anyone else own the AVRI Jazzmasters? 
    Harrius Septius
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Hipster movement died ages ago. Where are the Nu-Lad guitars?

Guitar looks wicked either way.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    AlexO said:

http://www.tradschool.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/friendly-visit-hornpipe.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    57Deluxe said:
    AlexO said:

http://www.tradschool.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/friendly-visit-hornpipe.jpg

Or ...
    https://goo.gl/images/JGUHyY
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Woof woof.  A good Jazzmaster is a beautiful thing to behold.  Even better to hear in action.

Could bore you stupid with all the mods I've done to mine but if it works for you then don't change a thing (except for those knobs).

Happy NGD!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 400
    Very nice - my Jazzmaster is a 2002.

Lose the Buzzstop though.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    If gumtree alerts are anything to go by, this didn’t last long!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Is it up already?
    edited May 2018
    Is it up already?
    Seems so
    It's not certain yet. I have mild arthritis in my wrist and hands and certain necks can give me issues. That was the problem with the 59 Strat I had prior to this! 

The Jazzmaster seemed to flair it up last night.
    My Gibson 330 59RI and Gretsch's seem to be the only ones that don't give me problems.

Not sure if it's the exaggerated scale length or the neck being on the slimmer side.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Nice guitar. I like it. I may build something like that further down the line