NAD - Yamaha THR10C - Tips please

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
Thanks to @rainer2859 I have just bought a Yamaha THR10C. It arrived today but will have to wait until I get home. 
I wanted it as a practice amp for home and also an amp I can use with headphones. 

Anyone got any tips for getting the best out of it? I think I read there is software you can use to edit parameters?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Yes, although do try it first without hooking up to a computer.

For what its worth, the models are:

Mini = Dr Z Mini
    Brit Blues = Marshall Bluesbreaker
    US Blues = Fender Blues Junior
    Class A = Matchless DC30
    Deluxe = Fender Deluxe Reverb

The software can change the fx parameters beyond what the knobs on the unit do, and the software also enables a compressor effect that’s not on the physical unit.

One can also change the speaker cabinet model types to good effect.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    They work well as standalone amps, but plugging them into a computer lets you use them as a (very good sounding) audio interface, which means you can play along with backing tracks, youtube vids, etc and record into your DAW software really easily. 

It'll come with a basic version of Cubase.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
    I have the THR 5 but have found on that having the master volume at 2 o clock with tone at 10 o clock works best on most settings.  I generally have gain high and use guitar volume to clean up so you don't have to mess about with too much.  Assuming you have the software disk with it very easy to install and as fandango says the additional compressor and cabs mean you can really tweak the sound.

Pretty decent music players too but you need the lead doesn't do bluetooth.
    Matt_McG said:
    They work well as standalone amps, but plugging them into a computer lets you use them as a (very good sounding) audio interface, which means you can play along with backing tracks, youtube vids, etc and record into your DAW software really easily. 

It'll come with a basic version of Cubase.

You can also connect a phone or tablet (via an audio cable into the aux socket) to use for backing tracks etc instead of the computer.

The amp models are such that the gain, master and volume knobs really do make a difference. E.g. low gain on one amp model wont suit another, and you’ll be experimenting a little to get some juicy tones. Well worth it.

The Class A and Deluxe are little too “quiet” or thin sounding for my liking, but i dig the US Blues and Brit Blues. The spring reverb is great.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    fandango said:

Mini = Dr Z Mini
    Class A = Matchless DC30

The software can change the fx parameters beyond what the knobs on the unit do, and the software also enables a compressor effect that’s not on the physical unit.

Interesting .. I own a 10C but I don't recall Yamaha publishing details of the amps they modelled. Do you have a link?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    fandango said:

Mini = Dr Z Mini
    Class A = Matchless DC30

Interesting .. I own a 10C but I don't recall Yamaha publishing details of the amps they modelled. Do you have a link?
    I came across this after I got mine: 

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/amps_accessories/thr/amp_types_sound.html

and this:

https://newatlas.com/yamaha-thr10c-amp-review/26617/

fandango said:
    Fretwired said:
    fandango said:

Mini = Dr Z Mini
    Class A = Matchless DC30

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/amps_accessories/thr/amp_types_sound.html

and this:

OK, Thanks. I've read the Yamaha site before but not seen the other article.

I recall a demo (could have been Andertons) where the Yamaha guy said they hadn't modelled particular amps. This is part of of the attraction for me as you escape the 'this doesn't sound like XYZ amp' ..

• Fretwired said:
    fandango said:
    Fretwired said:
    fandango said:

Mini = Dr Z Mini
    Class A = Matchless DC30

and this:

I recall a demo (could have been Andertons) where the Yamaha guy said they hadn't modelled particular amps. This is part of of the attraction for me as you escape the 'this doesn't sound like XYZ amp' ..

I believe that’s a classic Andertons episode with some very awkward staring in it. 

IIRC, the Yamaha chap said that they did model real amps, including their foibles. So that on one model, the tone knobs don’t really do much at all. 
    Fretwired said:
    fandango said:
    Fretwired said:
    fandango said:

Mini = Dr Z Mini
    Class A = Matchless DC30

and this:

I believe that’s a classic Andertons episode with some very awkward staring in it. 

IIRC, the Yamaha chap said that they did model real amps, including their foibles. So that on one model, the tone knobs don’t really do much at all. 
    I'm pretty sure Yamaha modelled real amps but I think they went down the road of no publishing it which I prefer. Saves the arguments on here .. I could imagine 'which twat modelled a Blues Junior' being a common theme .. :-) Looks like the guy in the mag article had the inside track.

They just sound good ...

And I think you're right about the Andertons vid ..

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Sounds obvious but where you place the amp in relation to your ears makes a huge difference with these.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    i have one on each

Using the computer app gives you access to other functions and features ... always liked this vid ..