Ever been blown away by a player from a genre you don't normally like?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Yngwie...not my thing at all but his passion is undeniable 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I’m not a Blur fan, but I like Graham Coxon’s playing. It’s primitive, but clever & always serves the song. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    jeztone2 said:
    I’m not a Blur fan, but I like Graham Coxon’s playing. It’s primitive, but clever & always serves the song. 
    Apparently grahsm plays the same guitar as the one I've just custom ordered ;). You won't see him with it though as he's endorsed by fender lol
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    Read the title and Satch came to mind, a lot of tunes on flying in a blue dream I love
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Danny Gatton.
    Blew me away with his style and expression.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12366
    Agreed re Danny Gatton
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    Brian Setzer 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2599
    Too many players to list.  Josh Smith a good example of a recent discovery. I'd give my eye teeth to be able to play like that.  But would I listen to his albums?  No, not really my thing.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

Cant stand widdly widdly sweep picking 'music' but have recently been checking out some of Jason Becker's tunes.

Holy cow they are good - really melodic 

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310

Guthrie is an obvious one. I still can't listen to his solo stuff but when he was playing with Steven Wilson, wow.

Gerrard Cousins got me listening to classical, when I had no prior interest.

Dimebag. A bit heavy for me but him and Vince got me listening to Pantera.

Jon Butler (only his solo instrumental stuff. Can't stand the band or his voice). Ocean. I'd never heard anything like it before.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    edited May 2018
    Jon Gomm. Not normally into the looping/slappy tapping acoustic thing, but his version of Chaka Khan’s ‘Ain’t Nobody’ is perfect.

Secondly, and he’ll hate me for saying this - @jamesoliver1234 of this very forum. I’m not generally a fan of country/rockabilly/r’n’b but by Christ that boy can play... Every time I see him with Glas or jam with him occasionally, he’s never less than jaw dropping.