Rich Robinson 335 destroyed

What's Hot
Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
A few months back I was in search of a 335 and I eventually managed to snag a beauty - Rich Robinson signature model (498 of 500). When it arrived (via DHL) I opened it up to find the neck was snapped just below the headstock.

Long story short...eventually the  insurance company paid out in full under the condition that they collect the guitar and destroy it. As in, throw it in an incinerator and burn it. 

Moral of the story. Always collect your guitars in person and insurance companies are heartless bastards with no appreciation of limited edition guitars. 
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3983
    Couldn't you not have had it repaired?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6722
    The irony of course being that Rich Robinson's 335 was basically destroyed and then restored. 

I feel your pain though - That's one of the guitars I'd most like to own. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    edited May 2018
    They should have made you put it in a flooded cellar, like the original....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    I didn’t speak with the insurers much, the seller dealt with them mostly as he shipped the guitar. Repairing was an option but the cost of repair and loss of future value meant they would sooner write it off. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah basically DHL from Northants to Sheffield did the same job as Hurricane Sandy. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3983
    Hick81 said:
    I didn’t speak with the insurers much, the seller dealt with them mostly as he shipped the guitar. Repairing was an option but the cost of repair and loss of future value meant they would sooner write it off. 
    What a waste. Hope you manage to find another.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Ouch.     That must be devasting.    I would love to get one of those.  That wasn’t the one advertised on Facebook recently was it?   I was very close to buying it but I’d overspent already.   
    Hick81 said:
    What a waste. Hope you manage to find another.
    Cheers, seen a few pop up but either missed them or they’re priced sky high
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    I ‘might’ be persuaded to part with my ‘real’ one (I still have the Bigsby and Custom Made plate):

http://www.es-335.net/335/66202.html
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3337
    On the up side though it’s nice to know there’s a courier out there that does cover musical instruments insurance wise, even if their service is shite. 
    John_P said:
    Ouch.     That must be devasting.    I would love to get one of those.  That wasn’t the one advertised on Facebook recently was it?   I was very close to buying it but I’d overspent already.   
    Don’t think so, bought it back in Feb. Handing it over to the courier for it to get thrown on the fire was painful. I thought they’d just take it to auction at least. 
    grungebob said:
    On the up side though it’s nice to know there’s a courier out there that does cover musical instruments insurance wise, even if their service is shite. 
    Yeah, Parcelforce wouldn’t for sure. I wouldn’t say it was plain sailing with DHL though, the seller was threatening to go to Watchdog unless they paid out. Quite a few hoops to jump through but because he packed it with a DHL employee at the depot before sending (which they checked on CCTV for proof) they were forced to stump up the cash. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16733
    Hick81 said:
    grungebob said:
    Yeah, Parcelforce wouldn’t for sure. I wouldn’t say it was plain sailing with DHL though, the seller was threatening to go to Watchdog unless they paid out. Quite a few hoops to jump through but because he packed it with a DHL employee at the depot before sending (which they checked on CCTV for proof) they were forced to stump up the cash. 
    I walked out of a DHL shop when they tried to insist I unpacked a guitar to repack with their supervision.  I had spent an hour packing it the night before.   I suppose it’s worth it if it means they pay out, less so if the packaging gets rushed and this happens
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Hick81 said:
    John_P said:
    Don’t think so, bought it back in Feb. Handing it over to the courier for it to get thrown on the fire was painful. I thought they’d just take it to auction at least. 
    Would they have noticed if it were an Epi Dot .. ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    Fretwired said:
    Hick81 said:
    John_P said:
    Would they have noticed if it were an Epi Dot .. ;-)

I like your way of thinking
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1467
    I ‘might’ be persuaded to part with my ‘real’ one (I still have the Bigsby and Custom Made plate):

Oooooh...want

Oooooh...want
    Get behind me Satan 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27126
    Hick81 said:
    This doesn’t make sense, surely? Future value must be >£1k, and repair would be sub-£500, so reimbursing you for that would still be cheaper than a full cash refund plus cost to have it destroyed.

Is it *actually* getting destroyed or is this someone in the office spotting an opportunity to get themselves a bargain-basement guitar?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12378
    With the gift of hindsight a Chibson with a snapped headstock might have been an idea, then again a Chibson probably wouldn’t have broke easily
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Damn that's a fine instrument. I'm guessing you'll want a lot more than i paid for the RR though!