Doc says I have to stop playing guitar.

What's Hot

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4262
    poopot said:

In the meantime, go to a physio and see what they say... In the end my problem was solved with acupuncture!!!!!
    I saw a physio who was very good, except that she wanted to try acupuncture. I let her, for a very short while, then I told her she was the first person I'd come across who thought that you could cure something that hurts by sticking a pin in where it hurts.
    Exactly my experience with acupuncture.

"This muscle constantly cramps and hurts like buggery you say?  Let me stick a needle in that and apply a voltage to it."

Physio is good though, very good.  Well worth an appointment if you can find a local one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    learn Def Leppard drum parts?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Don't ever annoy a physiotherapist. They know how to cause pain. The government could use them for getting information out of people.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3399
    randella said:
    poopot said:

In the meantime, go to a physio and see what they say... In the end my problem was solved with acupuncture!!!!!
    I saw a physio who was very good, except that she wanted to try acupuncture. I let her, for a very short while, then I told her she was the first person I'd come across who thought that you could cure something that hurts by sticking a pin in where it hurts.

"This muscle constantly cramps and hurts like buggery you say?  Let me stick a needle in that and apply a voltage to it."

Physio is good though, very good.  Well worth an appointment if you can find a local one.
    Erm, i'm not sure who your physio is, but i'm pretty darn sure that it's not standard practice to electrify the needles....
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4262
    PC_Dave said:
    randella said:
    poopot said:

Erm, i'm not sure who your physio is, but i'm pretty darn sure that it's not standard practice to electrify the needles....
    Electroacupuncture.  Fairly well established practice, apparently with some efficacy.  I was prepared for him to give it a go, although I did come to rather regret that decision.

After some yelling in pain he went back to standard physio which he's very good at.  45 minutes of being manipulated on that rack of his and I walk out as light as air.
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    I got a referral to see an NHS physio who was brilliant - took a while but the severe shoulder pain went. It never affected my guitar playing but I couldn't put on coats or sleep on that shoulder.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3010
    Osteopath, osteopath, osteopath.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuminousLuminous Frets: 210
    Improve your music theory
    Improve your reading
    Work on drum and keyboard programming
    go on a listening journey of things you always meant to check out
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    hassleham said:
    Practise legato?
    Isn’t he on a perma ban?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14573
    "Just stay home and play synthesizers."

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Yep, just play synths.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    I currently have what's called a frozen shoulder - basically tendonitis within my shoulder. Like others ^^^^^ putting a jacket on hurts like hell).  It is taking an eternity to resolve, though it is getting better slowly (and it isn't affecting guitar at all).

Not a lot drugs can do for a frozen shoulder apparently - go to a physio or osteo and rest (and stretch) seems to be the only answer.  Getting steroidal injections is for other shoulder issues, but not a FS (Doc & Osteo gave me the same story). .

Going to an Osteo who stretches my shoulder every other week (and it fracking hurts) .

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6166
    Having tried to sit and play with arm in the most comfortable position I can find.. it still starts to ache after a minute or so.
    I did feel like Les Paul for a minute though!
    Thanks for all the advice.  I think a visit to the physio is my next move.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Go the swimming baths and do 40 circles that'll sort you out.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23106
    Jalapeno said:
    I currently have what's called a frozen shoulder - basically tendonitis within my shoulder. Like others ^^^^^ putting a jacket on hurts like hell).  It is taking an eternity to resolve, though it is getting better slowly (and it isn't affecting guitar at all).

Not a lot drugs can do for a frozen shoulder apparently - go to a physio or osteo and rest (and stretch) seems to be the only answer.  Getting steroidal injections is for other shoulder issues, but not a FS (Doc & Osteo gave me the same story). .

Going to an Osteo who stretches my shoulder every other week (and it fracking hurts) .

I had that too, it severely restricted movement in my shoulder but only really hurt when taking a jacket on or off.  I guess it would've been a big problem if I was into backwards-waterskiing or something.

My GP said she'd refer me to a physio but they never got in contact with me and in the end it just went away on its own.  Took a long time though - it's hard to pinpoint when it started or ended but it must have been close to a year, maybe even longer. 

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6166
    JAYJO said:
    Go the swimming baths and do 40 circles that'll sort you out.
    That's a no go I'm afraid as I can't take the risk of being harpooned by a stray Russian whaler!
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited May 2018
    Take a couple of months off and learn music theory. You can also compose music using computer software. I start a lot of songs off like this, as it's easier to find interesting chord progressions.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8755
    My GP said that a physio would make a better diagnosis than he could. Whilst he could refer me to a physio it would take a couple of weeks, and I could walk into the physio across the street for £35.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited May 2018
    Duplicate post.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    Roland said:
    My GP said that a physio would make a better diagnosis than he could. Whilst he could refer me to a physio it would take a couple of weeks, and I could walk into the physio across the street for £35.
    Exactly, this is what Physios do every day, a good one will have more experience and knowledge than a GP with this kind of thing. Plus you’ll get a longer appointment. 

I’m lucky in that my local Physio is excellent. It always feels expensive booking an appointment but afterwards it always feels like a good decision and money well spent.