Ultimate do anything, beater guitar

What's Hot
BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2199
I’m thinking about building a do everything beater guitar for around the house practice.

My first thoughts are to buy a cheap used MIM strat with vintage tuners in any colour, sand it down and repaint with nitro. Rebuild with a SDunc SL-59 little in the bridge coil tapped. That’s as far as I’ve got. Any other suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Beater? Wouldn’t that serve better for on stage pyrotechnical sacrifice rather than at home practice?

Fk sanding and spraying. Build a partscaster. Or buy a cheapo Thomann guitar 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    Tele of some kind. Also useful for home defence.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    MIM Strat, switch pickguard for HSS if necessary 
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Japanese Charvel So-Cal. I don't own one any more, but IMO one of the most versatile value for money guitars you can buy, especially at used prices, plus it can look traditional rather than metal.
  • mistercharliemistercharlie Frets: 333
    Be careful. It’ll end up becoming your favorite guitar, and you’ll never want to play anything else. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Find some Warmoth bits and bang something together.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Tele.

End of.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    HSS Mexican Strat. No fucking about. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2199
    I tried a HSS Strat today and wasn’t overwhelmed buy the H tone. There wasn’t the bite I expected. Any upgrade suggestions? The guitar that got me thinking of doing my own thing was the EOB strat. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited May 2018
    Faded SGs can be had at a good price used. I've played my 50s tribute to death (with dimarzio P90 sized super distortion) no qualms leaving it lying around
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    Chinese Gretsch Electromatic Duo-Jet fitted with a Bigsby, Sperzel tuners, Duncan '59 and Invader pickups, volume, tone, pickup switch and coil split switch.

The previous owner threw it around a bit so it's quite beaten-up... I don't love it, but it's quite useful to have around as it will do a lot of different stuff.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Buy a Tele and the pickups you want for it.  Take it to a guitar tech, get him to fit the pickups and setup the guitar.  End of problem.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    I have never played one but isn't the Line 6 Variax supposed to be a Swiss army.knife of tones?
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Buy a Harley Benton anything with the intention to improve it, play it for a while, realise you can't really improve it without spending 3 times what you bought it for, buy another one and repeat.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited May 2018
    I've been very close to getting one of these on more than one occasion https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/shape/rhoads/js-series-rr-minion-js1x/2913333504
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31619
    Mine's the Tele on the left, it can do anything I can. 

My Les Paul is my most gigged, but a round the house beater has to be something you can lie on its back on the floor or throw in a cupboard. 

http://i64.tinypic.com/2dbue1j.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Get a Pacifica or Harley Benton or Squier and just play the shit out of it and throw it away when it's done.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8724
    p90fool said:
    ... a round the house beater has to be something you can lie on its back on the floor or throw in a cupboard. 
    1. Solid body.
    2. Flat headstock which won’t break at the nut end.
    3. Mix of pickups.

My money is on a cheap Tele, eg the Harley Benton kit with an oil finish so there’s no paint to crack and splinter. Tapped Bridge pickup to give variety. Neck pickup to suit your style. 5 way switch to get the combinations.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Barnezy said:
    I’m thinking about building a do everything beater guitar for around the house practice.

My first thoughts are to buy a cheap used MIM strat with vintage tuners in any colour, sand it down and repaint with nitro. Rebuild with a SDunc SL-59 little in the bridge coil tapped. That’s as far as I’ve got. Any other suggestions?

A round the house beater? Why on earth would you go to the trouble of stripping and repainting it? Have you actually thought about what you really want?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Best round the house guitar is a Strandberg, or other headless. Small, light, sits correctly on your lap in any position, wherever you sit.

Not cheap mind.