Seymour Duncan triple shot rings...

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
edited May 2018 in Guitar
.... anyone used them? Are they worth it ?
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5530
    I had one for my P-Rails. I thought it was great, it lets you choose all the configs without having to drill/fit new switches to the guitar or worry about rewiring everything. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14492
    edited May 2018
    I also use them with Duncan P-Rails pickups. They make sense with that specific pickup because all four coil permutations sound distinct from each other. This makes for a highly versatile recording guitar. I would not wish to have to make swift switching changes onstage.

One important caveat: The ribbon connector between the two PCBs on the Triple Shot is extremely vulnerable at the ends. It cannot withstand rough handling.

In my opinion, with regular humbuckers, access to every possible coil permutation is undesirable. Too many of them sound the same. Wiser, perhaps, to decide on half a dozen usable combinations and access them via a Freeway 3x3-03 toggle selector switch.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I also use them with Duncan P-Rails pickups. They make sense with that specific pickup because all four coil permutations sound distinct from each other. This makes sense for a highly versatile recording guitar. I would not wish to have to make swift switching changes onstage.

One important caveat: The ribbon connector between the two PCBs on the Triple Shot is extremely vulnerable at the ends. It cannot withstand rough handling.

In my opinion, with regular humbuckers, access to every possible coil permutation is undesirable. Too many of them sound the same. Wiser, perhaps, to decide on half a dozen usable combinations and access them via a Freeway 3x3-03 toggle selector switch.

I'm basically trying to get a reasonable strat sound out of my humbuckers. I thought this way would get me closer. I don't like strats so this way is preferable for me ;)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11607
    tFB Trader
    @peteri has them on his Feline Panther - think they work well for him

We used them on a recent Feline Lion to good effect, as the Push pull pots were being used for other functions

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

We used them on a recent Feline Lion to good effect, as the Push pull pots were being used for other functions

Nice :)
    I'm taking it that the pickups will have to have 4 wires to get the combinations etc?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28462
    I had some; they worked, but I didn't like how they worked.

To me it'd make more sense to have one of the little switches be split or not, and the other be hot or not. So in split mode the second switch gives you rail or 90, and in bucker mode the second switch gives you series or parallel.

It's perfectly doable but needs dual-pole switches, which presumably would have cost about 2p more each.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    I had some; they worked, but I didn't like how they worked.

To me it'd make more sense to have one of the little switches be split or not, and the other be hot or not. So in split mode the second switch gives you rail or 90, and in bucker mode the second switch gives you series or parallel.

It's perfectly doable but needs dual-pole switches, which presumably would have cost about 2p more each.
    I'll be using these rings with my regular humbuckers do not planning to buy the p rails 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11607
    tFB Trader
    If using humbuckers other than Seymours then you need to translate the colour coding

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

If using humbuckers other than Seymours then you need to translate the colour coding

Bugger I knew it wouldn't be a simple task :(
    I'm taking it that the pickups will have to have 4 wires to get the combinations etc?
    Affirmative.
    trying to get a reasonable strat sound out of my humbuckers. I don't like strats 
    That is handy because combining the inside coils of two humbuckers, in phase, in parallel, will only get you some of the way to a *proper* Fender sound.

Sporky said:
    I didn't like how they worked.
    To my enfeebled brain, it makes more sense if, in the single coil modes, the micro switches are both pushed towards the coil that I wish to use. 

Thinking of the series mode as *switches together* and the parallel mode as *switches apart* is analogous to how the coils are being connected.

Push pull pots were being used for other functions
    On my P-Rails-equiped guitar, the master tone pot pulls up for phase reversal of one pickup with respect to the other. If I had used a push-pull volume pot, it would have linked the two pickups together in series. 

Everything that the Duncan Triple Shot surround micro switches offer can be achieved with push-pull pots. On guitars with two control pots, the mode switching governs both pickups simultaneously. On guitars with four pots, the mode can be determined per pickup. Schematic diagrams are available on the SD website.
    Affirmative.
    trying to get a reasonable strat sound out of my humbuckers. I don't like strats 
    That is handy because combining the inside coils of two humbuckers, in phase, in parallel, will only get you some of the way to a *proper* Fender sound.

Sporky said:
    To my enfeebled brain, it makes more sense if, in the single coil modes, the micro switches are both pushed towards the coil that I wish to use. 

Thinking of the series mode as *switches together* and the parallel mode as *switches apart* is analogous to how the coils are being connected.

Push pull pots were being used for other functions
    On my P-Rails-equiped guitar, the master tone pot pulls up for phase reversal of one pickup with respect to the other. If I had used a push-pull volume pot, it would have linked the two pickups together in series. 

Everything that the Duncan Triple Shot surround micro switches offer can be achieved with push-pull pots. On guitars with two control pots, the mode switching governs both pickups simultaneously. On guitars with four pots, the mode can be determined per pickup. Schematic diagrams are available on the SD website.
    That's why I was thinking of the triple shot as I only have two pots on the guitar I.e. More options :)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31621

Is this any use?

http://i63.tinypic.com/pvb49.jpg
    p90fool said:

Is this any use?

http://i63.tinypic.com/pvb49.jpg
    Thanks @p90fool mine are monty's humdingers but I'm sure they'll be similar to something on that chart. Thanks 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389

That guitar is absolutely stunning!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28462
    Sporky said:

Ah - that makes sense.

Not to my brain while trying to work the things, but I can at least understand that when it's written down. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I had them with P-rails for a while but it was all too small and fiddly for my tastes/eyesight. In the end I ditched them and just went for a 3 way switch that gave HB in the bridge, P90 in the neck and SCs combined in the middle. That was perfect for me, I didn't need lots of sound variations
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    Have a set with my P-rails, for the amount that cost they're surprisingly flimsy.
    Good though, if you can remember what all the positions mean without looking at a chart/tapping pole pieces.
    The Seymour Duncan P-Rails pickup was the creation of a rather talented guy named Frank Falbo. The Triple Shot mounting surround was devised as a way of extracting the P-Rails coil permutations. I suspect that its development was a team effort.
    I would've gone with a set of p rails too but not in the 'orrible cream, black or shot plastic covers they come in. Has to be raw nickle as far as I'm concerned ;)