Are YOU Lee Anderton???

What's Hot
mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
On the Andertons TV channel, they recently had an excellent feature with Justin from Justinguitar. 

I thought this was excellent content on many levels.

Justin is a great teacher, and attempting to teach Lee would drive me nuts because he's, no pun intended, all over the shop. ;)

As I watched, I was thinking that I definitely have the same problem as Lee, and have a really scattergun and unfocused approach to learning.

It really highlighted to me the importance of focussing on one area at a time.

It also showed the benefit of having a great teacher to guide you.

What do you guys reckon?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31629
    I haven't watched it yet, but yes, I just pick up bits and pieces from here and there and have almost no theory. 

I just try to make noises I like and which sort of fit, but am aware of vast gaps in my knowledge. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326

I just don't get time to sit and play for an hour or day, not even half an hour a day. Wish i did. Meh!

I'm lucky for an hour on a Sunday.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    agree, it was one of the best things I've seen from their channel and can relate a lot to that myself as well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SparkySparky Frets: 90
    The stuff he did with Pete was good, but it went off on a tangent a lot. This was excellent and Justin appeared to be able to keep him focused long enough to demonstrate what it was he was trying to get across. I'm looking forward to more.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12403
    p90fool said:
    I haven't watched it yet, but yes, I just pick up bits and pieces from here and there and have almost no theory. 

I just try to make noises I like and which sort of fit, but am aware of vast gaps in my knowledge. 
    This is me!
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    p90fool said:

It's well worth a watch.

Having only recently heard your playing, which i thought was wicked btw, you must have focussed on some areas consistently. 'Just making good noises' is the most important part!

E.g. having been inspired by Jeff Beck, you got to grips with that harmonica stuff.

This video wasnt really focussed on theory or what have you it was more on using time effectively and in a  musical way.

Plus it's a 'bants' free zone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3032
    edited May 2018
    Yes it's excellent and very relevant to my playing in terms of needing to better solo phrasing; making things sound more 'musical' and less like robotic scales. I too have trouble focussing on one aspect and getting it right and I tend to drift off all over the shop. look forward to the next instalment
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11615
    tFB Trader
    Justin is a great teacher - I used to do a few bits of repair work for him back when he was in "The Counterfeit Stones" tribute band.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 477
    Justins own videos are great, they really helped when I was just starting out. His song breakdowns are superb as well. Really enjoyed the Andertons vid, it hammers home the idea that even a focused 5 minutes can make all the difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Sparky said:
    The stuff he did with Pete was good, but it went off on a tangent a lot. This was excellent and Justin appeared to be able to keep him focused long enough to demonstrate what it was he was trying to get across. I'm looking forward to more.
    I tried to watch the Pete one but felt that Lee just ruined it, it was as if he felt embarrassed and had to keep chiming in with things he knew to justify himself; had to turn it off. Wished Pete had just done the lesson himself or with someone who just shut up and got on with it.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    p90fool said:

Thats me too. Have a wiz.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    munckee said:
    p90fool said:

This is me!
    And very much me too.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6896
    That was me until I took 6 lessons with a good guitar tutor. Told him the aim was to play Hendrix style rhythm (ie mixed chords and riffing)- so he defined the path needed:-
    1) Caged chords
    2) Knowing the chord tones in those chords and any additional ones in those positions
    3) overlaying the Pentatonic to those chords (major and minor)
    4) combining chordsa with Pentatonic fills.

im still working on it, but I know what I’m trying to do and why. I now use other learning methods (YouTube,etc) for additional examples of these and to help link those steps.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I think I gave it a Like on YouTube which I'm pretty sure I've never done to an Andertons video before. 
    I think Lee was describing how he thinks many guitarists are as much as describing himself but he did so pretty accurately IMHO. 
    Amiable watch, I'm sure I should take the advice and I look forward to a further episode or two. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    Man, just learn the CAGED system and you're golden.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26650
    Not watched the video, but I'm sure I'd identify with a lot of it - at least in the past.

My learning now is more a case of "as and when" - if I come across something I can't do or don't know, I'll focus on it until I've got it up to an acceptable level, and then move on. It's really a case of "learning to ask the right questions" - which is pretty much the way I approach my job as well. I'm actually not that great a programmer in isolation, but give me an Internet connection and a search engine and I'm a friggin' genius ;)
    <space for hire>
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    Man, just learn the CAGED system and you're golden.
    Kyren, that you? Shouldn’t you be getting some rest ahead of the evening session rather than messing around on guitar fora? :-).
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7343
    edited May 2018
    Justin is a great teacher - I used to do a few bits of repair work for him back when he was in "The Counterfeit Stones" tribute band.
    ...do you think there is a French Stones tribute band called the Gaul Stones??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    As a tutor I see this all the time in more experienced learners who come to me for lessons to improve. They know basic chords and a couple of scales, but as they don't apply it there's fuck all muscle memory. Weak areas are usually understanding of the fretboard and rhythm. 2 key areas that I always see in a lot of learners no matter what level. There's alot of basic knowledge missing in their playing and they've also picked up alot of bad habits.

Having that weekly lesson with me keeps them focused and motivated to keep progressing every week. I know for a fact if they didn't take lessons they wouldn't practice the stuff I give them, who else is going to check they've done it properly?

Justin is a good tutor indeed, even I watch his videos to pick up tips on how to teach some of the pop songs he does. Very easy to understand for me obviously but he's quite good at just getting the fingers on the guitar and playing. Not much theory to start off with that will confuse beginners.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    57Deluxe said:
    ...do you think there is a French Stones tribute band called the Gaul Stones??
    There is a Rolling Stones tribute act, and the members are all surgeons, called The Gall Stones.