Extra Long Strat Saddle Screws?

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
I want to try out a higher action on my Strat but the saddle height screws are already coming out of the threads so it can't go any higher.

Anyone know if it's possible to get longer screws?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9655
    Plenty on ebay of various lengths. Make sure you get the correct thread (imperial or metric). I should get some myself, always useful to have spares in a range of lengths.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2473
    Check whether the neck is shimmed as it’s likely to be with that lack of adjustment allowance?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Check whether the neck is shimmed as it’s likely to be with that lack of adjustment allowance?
    My first thought was actually that the microtilt might have been engaged but it wasn't, there's no shim either.

I wondered if maybe wanting the action above 5/64 was very unusual so checked out some forums and there seems to be plenty of people with action higher than that so it surprises me that the screws max out around that.

It's possible those people also have more relief in the neck which I think would make the action higher at the same screw height, perhaps that's the case.

Thanks for the link and ebay advice guys
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I don't know how dodgy it is, but I once bought a Fender SRV Strat that had a little metal bar sitting across the tremolo under the grub screws. I removed it straight away.
    I ordered those ones and they arrived today but they're slightly too big in diameter to fit in the Fender saddles :(
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    tFB Trader
    Do you need metric screws perhaps? What model Strat is it?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72427
    I would definitely try increasing the relief or even reverse-shimming the neck before raising the saddles even higher, which will affect the geometry of the bridge and the operation of the tremolo.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    It would probably help to see photographs of the current bridge adjustment and the neck pitch angle.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Do you need metric screws perhaps? What model Strat is it?
    American Standard
    ICBM said:
    I would definitely try increasing the relief or even reverse-shimming the neck before raising the saddles even higher, which will affect the geometry of the bridge and the operation of the tremolo.
    Would increasing relief help with fret buzz? I wasn't sure if that might make it worse at some points on the neck.

What is reverse shimming? Removing some of the wood?
    thegummy said:

American Standard
    In that case just raise the two bridge pivot posts!

Don't do it with the string tension on, you'll damage the knife edges.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It would probably help to see photographs of the current bridge adjustment and the neck pitch angle.
    I'll put up a photo if I don't get anywhere with the relief idea.

Waiting on a replacement string at the moment anyway.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    thegummy said:

American Standard
    This is an example of why it's always a good idea when asking a question to be specific about the model.

Those screws should have fit though!
    ICBM said:
    thegummy said:

American Standard

Don't do it with the string tension on, you'll damage the knife edges.
    Oh wow didn't know that was a thing!

Is it okay to do it with strings loosened or take them all the way off to be safe?
    thegummy said:

Is it okay to do it with strings loosened or take them all the way off to be safe?
    I would loosen them until they're slack, but not take them off completely.

You just want to stop the posts grinding against the edges of the bridge plate as you turn them. To be really safe, take the springs off inside the trem cavity as well - you'll need to re-adjust the claw setting anyway with the bridge higher.

thegummy said:
    In order to understand the problem more completely, some of the photographs really need to be "before".
    thegummy said:
    In order to understand the problem more completely, some of the photographs really need to be "before".
    It's just that it only has 5 strings on it at the moment lol
    Not a problem. 

There is something of fundamental importance that you are omitting from your written description of this issue. Photographs will probably reveal that missing information in an instant. Attempting to remotely diagnose the issue without all of the information is a pointless guessing game.