Guitar Serial Number

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    Is it to check when , and how many times, Ellwood has owned it?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Snags said:
    There are a couple of reasons I might ask for the serial number.

The main reason would be that it's a quick and easy way to look up some information on the guitar. It would help me form a better idea of the spec of the guitar, and cross-reference that against the description as part of the whole "does this sound about right" process.

Secondary reason would be that the answer to the question is quite revealing. If the guitar is legit then there shouldn't be any problem giving out the serial number.  If the answer isn't a straight forward "here you go" then it would indicate something worth further consideration. Particular if the answer is "no" or "I can't, it's damaged/missing/somesuch". If the answer was "no" without any reason, I'd be fairly wary of continuing, although at that point it would be 50:50 as to whether I thought it was because there was an issue with the guitar, or an issue with the seller being overly paranoid.

Whilst fakes may well have equally fake serial numbers, generally speaking the serial number is going to be a good place to start with validating authenticity. If it doesn't match up, you don't have to waste the journey. If it does, you might go have a look and check things out further etc.

If I were selling then chances are I'd put the serial number in the advert from the off, for the above reasons.
    If the reason is because he wrongly thinks it can verify if it's legit then it means he's looking for it being fake but doesn't have the knowledge to verify mine isn't. Could lead to him claiming it's fake based on some other piece of information which would be a waste of time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    Snags said:
    There are a couple of reasons I might ask for the serial number.

The main reason would be that it's a quick and easy way to look up some information on the guitar. It would help me form a better idea of the spec of the guitar, and cross-reference that against the description as part of the whole "does this sound about right" process.

Secondary reason would be that the answer to the question is quite revealing. If the guitar is legit then there shouldn't be any problem giving out the serial number.  If the answer isn't a straight forward "here you go" then it would indicate something worth further consideration. Particular if the answer is "no" or "I can't, it's damaged/missing/somesuch". If the answer was "no" without any reason, I'd be fairly wary of continuing, although at that point it would be 50:50 as to whether I thought it was because there was an issue with the guitar, or an issue with the seller being overly paranoid.

Whilst fakes may well have equally fake serial numbers, generally speaking the serial number is going to be a good place to start with validating authenticity. If it doesn't match up, you don't have to waste the journey. If it does, you might go have a look and check things out further etc.

If I were selling then chances are I'd put the serial number in the advert from the off, for the above reasons.
    I agree with all of this - apart from the bit about putting the serial number in the ad. If everyone did that then the fakers making Chibsons would have a very rich source of serial numbers to pull on. Which would make it even harder to spot the fakes.
    I'm hoping it doesn't come down to it cause in selling for a good price but if it came down to selling to a picky/paranoid person, what would be the easiest way to prove it's genuine?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    thegummy said:
    I'm hoping it doesn't come down to it cause in selling for a good price but if it came down to selling to a picky/paranoid person, what would be the easiest way to prove it's genuine?
    Original purchase receipt when new.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31624
    Tbh, the main reason I'd be interested in the serial number of a Gibson made in the last five years is so I could find out the exact spec on it. 

The current range is so confusing in terms of pickups, neck profile, weight relief, fret nibs, circuit boards and other variables that you just can't trust the average vendor to know or be accurate about it. 

I quick search of the serial number tells you exactly what the guitar should be, and as a buyer I'm still mystified as to why that should be such a big secret. 

Chinese fake factories could invent hundreds of thousands of serial numbers based on Gibson's sequences, they don't need examples of individual guitars to clone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:
    Original purchase receipt when new.
    Think that's just an email from guitarguitar which could easily be faked.

To be honest I doubt anyone looking at the guitar in person would question its authenticity.
    p90fool said:
    Tbh, the main reason I'd be interested in the serial number of a Gibson made in the last five years is so I could find out the exact spec on it. 

The current range is so confusing in terms of pickups, neck profile, weight relief, fret nibs, circuit boards and other variables that you just can't trust the average vendor to know or be accurate about it. 

I quick search of the serial number tells you exactly what the guitar should be, and as a buyer I'm still mystified as to why that should be such a big secret. 

Chinese fake factories could invent hundreds of thousands of serial numbers based on Gibson's sequences, they don't need examples of individual guitars to clone. 
    It's not that it's a secret, I'd just never heard of it being asked for so wanted to check it's safe. I'd given him it shortly after a few replies confirmed it is.

Just want to know why someone might ask for it, partly for curiosity, partly to see if it gives a clue to a potential time waster. 

It's a friend of a friend cause I've not actually listed the guitar anywhere yet. Was hoping someone I know wanted it to avoid the hassle of people coming to view it etc.

Going to list it at 500, hopefully someone will take it without much hassle. Wondering now whether to include a close up of the serial in the listing.