Is my MXR phase 90 on or off?

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10731
edited May 2018 in FX
is there a little product that sits between the power lead and the pedal’s power input socket that lights up when current is being drawn, ie when it’s on? For pedals without their own LEDs. 
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    If it sound swooshy, it's on.

That would be tricky to do, as pedals draw some current when off. You could feasibly trigger an led when the current draw exceeds a predetermined level, but that level would be different to every model of pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10731
    If it sound swooshy, it's on.

That would be tricky to do, as pedals draw some current when off. You could feasibly trigger an led when the current draw exceeds a predetermined level, but that level would be different to every model of pedal.
    Yep. Maybe it could have a little grub screw to set the trigger level. But probably more trouble than it’s worth. Re swooshiness, I know :) - it’s just that sometimes you’re halfway through a song before you realise it’s been on. Or you’re doing Ain’t Talking About Love and you get out of sync without noticing. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    Relatively easy to fit an LED. If you don't want to drill the pedal, you could do something like this:

http://doktorsewage.com/vintage-mxr-phase-90-sees-the-light/

R.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I’d put it in a loop switcher that had an indicator led.    

Someone like bright onion will probably have one suitable if you have space on your board. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    John_P said:
    I’d put it in a loop switcher that had an indicator led.    

Someone like bright onion will probably have one suitable if you have space on your board. 
    Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. In fact, get a G2 and put all your pedals in loops :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    There won't be any change in current draw. The pedal is actually on all the time, it's only a case of whether the guitar signal is going through it or not. Normally, the only increase in current draw is caused by the pedal's LED...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2018
    ICBM said:
    There won't be any change in current draw. The pedal is actually on all the time, it's only a case of whether the guitar signal is going through it or not. Normally, the only increase in current draw is caused by the pedal's LED...
    Oh. Oh well! Cheers  

The loop switcher is definitely an idea. 
    viz said:

I've got a GigRig Loopy 2 sat doing not an awful lot, if you want to go down that route.

viz said:

I've got a GigRig Loopy 2 sat doing not an awful lot, if you want to go down that route.

Thanks old dude but I think I need something the size of a matchbox :)

http://i.imgur.com/UMuVQjY.jpg
    Meh, it would fit on there, easy! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    ICBM said:
    You're probably right there. I just checked an SD-1. 5.01 mA when on, 4.51 mA when off.
    I am using Dimarzio Evolutions though
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    viz said:
    viz said:

A matchbox size won't exist because you need space for 4 jacks.

Try the Lehle Little Lehle II, that is about as small as it gets.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    octatonic said:
    viz said:
    viz said:

Bright Onion Mini is smaller and about a third of the price if my googling serves me well. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    I have no doubt this is considered sacrilege, but I would just fit the pedal with an LED. It's a functional upgrade and even if it's an original, won't devalue anything other than a pristine collector's piece with its original box etc.

I did dozens of them back in the 80s so I may be a bit blasé about this though :).

I would also true-bypass it at the same time because the Phase 90 is notoriously tone-sucking with the original SPDT switching. If 3PDTs had been available back then I would have done that too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Take any concerns about resale out of of the equation and rehouse it with LED, true bypass and 9v socket if like me you have the script reissue. Oh and and a 3 PDT will mean mean a battery won't fit, if that's important to you. Another option is put it in the loop of a Boss LS-2, but it doesn't sound like you have room :)
    edited May 2018
    I might just have someone take a drill to it. I’ve already got a piece of foam between the base and the unit, with a slot for the battery clip - as you can see at the top of it. But IC and clarkefan I think I’ll just do that, if anything. If I can find someone with the inclination to do it for me
    edited May 2018
    octatonic said:
    viz said:
    viz said:

Thanks old dude but I think I need something the size of a matchbox

Bright Onion Mini is smaller and about a third of the price if my googling serves me well. 
    Tricky to cable that one- the location of the jacks means you have to go down with right angle jacks or the straight jacks end up doubling the size of the unit.
  • danodano Frets: 1596
    edited May 2018
    If you can't tell that you phase90 is on then you'e got bigger problems.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    dano said:
    If you can't tell that you phase90 is on then you'e got bigger problems.

Maybe if you only ever play in your bedroom but in a gig situation, at high volume (which I know viz does) with poor foldback then it cannot always be obvious.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom