Sasquatch and on ... Huddersfield Jam #2

What's Hot

Comments

• LuttiS said:
    Don't write them off so fast guys... 

I think it's as @Legionreturns says, many can't make it due to holiday season/family season... Which is the majority of the can't go answers. 

It is possible we flew a little close to the sun on this one, perhaps too big too soon after other jams. What's this the third or fourth this year?  

I think I'd agree with that. Trying to plan a two day session without getting a proper judge of people's interest levels and availability beforehand was probably too ambitious. I can totally understand the exasperation of Bridgehouse, Ttony etc as the amount of work I imagine goes into planning something like this must be a thankless task. Big props to all you guys involved in the organisation side of this weekend.  :)

Well I'm gonna be there Saturday regardless. Don't really know what I'm playing and haven't really had much time to practice, but looking forward to it all the same! Winging it is my standard operating procedure in life in general anyhow...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Scratch all the negativity. 

Those that are there will have a great time, those that aren't will miss out. 

Shit happens! 

As @fandango says, last one there etc.

PS, anyone arriving Friday night? Huddersfield food festival = beers and bands in the sun by the station. ALWAYS great fun! PM me for a phone number 

Peace, love, and two working hands for all! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11765
    Trying to plan a two day session without getting a proper judge of people's interest levels and availability beforehand was probably too ambitious.
    They did have that whole "we are planning something really ambitious who is interested and available?" thread... ;)

That's probably what was more frustrating, a lot of people said "yeah I'd be up for it" and then weren't.

Still, water, bridge... see you there :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6822
    edited July 2018
    If the weekend finances don’t add up, let us know - I’m ok to chip in a bit more to stop you being out of pocket. The studio cost is the cheapest bit of the weekend !
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    TTony said:

mrkb said:
    I’m happy to organise a smaller Northampton Jam in November if anyone’s still keen.
    Leicester/Quad was a better (aka bigger) studio?  But I'd be up for another session.
    :)
    Good point - Quad is a better venue and only 20 mins more drive for me. Will contact them for availability once I’ve done Hudds.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Also... I'm bringing a plus 1. 

One of my YBTB coaches fancies a jam. 

He's an employee, so he WILL enjoy himself ;) 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Trying to plan a two day session without getting a proper judge of people's interest levels and availability beforehand was probably too ambitious.
    They did have that whole "we are planning something really ambitious who is interested and available?" thread... ;)

That's probably what was more frustrating, a lot of people said "yeah I'd be up for it" and then weren't.

Exactly that - big thread, lots of time and lots of chat before we did anything. 

To be fair the Huddersfield numbers are irrelevant. In lots of other discussions there were a lot of “I’m not interested in jamming as it’s irrelevant/I’m too good/don’t want to meet in real life/it’s not what the forum is for” type comments. 

Don’t worry - this weekend will be awesome and I’m sure jams will happen in the future - but I for one won’t be making a big song and dance about it 
    TTony said:

@BridgetHouse
    Is this Freudian?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244

Exactly that - big thread, lots of time and lots of chat before we did anything. 

To be fair the Huddersfield numbers are irrelevant. In lots of other discussions there were a lot of “I’m not interested in jamming as it’s irrelevant/I’m too good/don’t want to meet in real life/it’s not what the forum is for” type comments. 

Don’t worry - this weekend will be awesome and I’m sure jams will happen in the future - but I for one won’t be making a big song and dance about it 
    Yep, it will be awesome.. and we do appreciate all your work on it matey. ( and legions, tonys et al) There will be plenty of songs and dances once we're all there :)
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Scratch all the negativity. 

Those that are there will have a great time, those that aren't will miss out. 

Shit happens! 

As @fandango says, last one there etc.

PS, anyone arriving Friday night? Huddersfield food festival = beers and bands in the sun by the station. ALWAYS great fun! PM me for a phone number 

Peace, love, and two working hands for all! 
    Totally this. 

I'm struggling to understand why there's so much negativity going on. I for one am hugely excited to get back into Sasquatch again, to catch up with some old faces from last time and meet some new ones. 

I'm not particularly interested in why people *aren't* coming. Your peeves one way or the other are of no consequence.  All I'm interested in is that those that do come bring a load of positive energy and a willingness to have a go!

And bring loads of cool kit as well. 

On that note, I'm going to suggest/insist that at 11.30am on Sunday in the "acoustic" room we can get together some of the best guitars and related kit and have a bit of show and tell. If anyone's bringing anything expensive, handmade, rare, famous, or just loaded with sentimental value, drop me a PM and let's get it included. 

Hopefully I should get some time tomorrow to drop a few messages to people I'm playing with to discuss how best to deliver the songs. @Bridgehouse, have we got an up to date list yet? Apologies if I've missed it but I've checked all the threads and not seen it. If you're running out of time to do this, Dropbox me the spreadsheet and I'll do it myself. 

@Legionreturns - if I can help with anything to deliver the best jam weekend yet, let me know. 

And yes, I'm up for Friday night. If your number hasn't changed, I have it. I'll be there in good time Friday, taking the day off to head down. I'll be piping into Magic Rock and then we can hook up and catch some music.  I think there's one or two others staying the Friday - let's hang out and get to know each other before Saturday. That would be awesome. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2018

I'm struggling to understand why there's so much negativity going on. 
    Edit: changed my mind about posting my response.
    Oh, I promise promise promise I’ll do a setlist tomorrow - I’m not actually home yet :(
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    edited July 2018

I'm struggling to understand why there's so much negativity going on. 
    And you will do..

[edited but left a bit in]

“If you want to be a big cop in a small village then fuck off down the model village”
    That is indeed jaw-droppingly twattish. 

The vast majority of us don't see what goes on behind the scenes, and therefore don't have to worry about it.  I have a lot of respect for those of you who have to put up with it. 

But that kind of attitude can't be allowed to win. If  it seeps into threads like this that are supposed to be about how cool it is to get in a room with fellow enthusiasts and just hang out, then the whole enterprise will just sink. 

Clearly hopes were high about the potential turnout for Huddersfield. Maybe the numbers will be a bit lower than organisers would have liked. But hey ho, that's life - I can't think of gig that I've played where I haven't wished more people would have turned up, including those who had stone cold promised they would come. But you get on with it anyway, and put on as good a show as you can regardless. Perhaps the "hardcore" can keep the dream alive long enough for these jams to flourish in the future. 

I trust Mr "Model Village" will be attending and challenging all comers to a Crossroads-style guitar duel to prove his manliness? /sarc

@modellista - I actually edited my post as I decided I didn’t want to say it and infect this thread with the negativity. 

I appreciate the positivity, and it will be really good and positive this weekend. 

However, I’m not a weeble, and there comes a point eventually where my chumbawamba capability to keep getting up after a good hearty slapping down by the forum fun police fails me.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited July 2018
    I have to say @modellista - I’m with you all the way. For those of us who are supporting - and very much looking forward to - the event, it almost feels like we’re bearing the resentment for the poor turnout.

I’ve done my best to mention it in other threads - saying how good the January one was, etc. I think timing is the real issue here - lots of people away, people balancing family stuff with hobbies, fantastic weather, etc - and it being a whole weekend. None of which is a criticism - just my take on how it’s panned out.

The ‘after your lack support, we won’t bother again’ sentiment is understandable from those who had the vision and energy to make these things happen - but I think we need a reality check. Firstly, in numbers terms - this is the first and only ‘failure’, as far as I’m aware. Secondly, the people who have paid up, booked hotels, paying to get there - and have invested time in practicing are clearly committed. Thirdly, I can guarantee after the event there’ll be plenty of us posting about what a great time we had, how well organised it was, how grateful we were to get to play with/meet others, what a lovely bunch of people we all are etc....

If this were happening on a rainy weekend, in early October - I reckon forum members would be moaning that there were so few place available....
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11765
    Ok hands off your cocks and on with your socks lads, lets leave the post mortems until we are dead...

Going to be a great weekend :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    I'm not looking forward to 4-5 hours of the M23, M25, M1 and M62, but other than that, there's sod all negativity here boys. Just remember that when I mysteriously forget how to sing and play guitar. 

B) 

Guitars, Choons, beer and good craic. What's not to look forward to. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

On that note, I'm going to suggest/insist that at 11.30am on Sunday in the "acoustic" room we can get together some of the best guitars and related kit and have a bit of show and tell. If anyone's bringing anything expensive, handmade, rare, famous, or just loaded with sentimental value, drop me a PM and let's get it included. 

Hopefully I should get some time tomorrow to drop a few messages to people I'm playing with to discuss how best to deliver the songs. @Bridgehouse, have we got an up to date list yet? Apologies if I've missed it but I've checked all the threads and not seen it. If you're running out of time to do this, Dropbox me the spreadsheet and I'll do it myself. 

@Legionreturns - if I can help with anything to deliver the best jam weekend yet, let me know. 

I won’t be up there until Sat AM as I don’t get back from hols until late Thursday, then back to work on Friday- so need to assemble kit and last practice on Friday night.

@modellista are you bringing the satin black vela? I’m tempted to get one - would love to check it out.

I’ll bring a Fractal AX8 and Atomic CLR if people want to try/ compare to their modeller.

im really looking forward to a 2 day jam session, hope I can mix drumming and guitaring time (spent most of last event drumming).

Would like to spend some time working on how to evolve a chord progression during a jam (ie make something beyond a 1-4-5 12 bar) if anyone has the time and wants to do similar. Have always struggled with this, at other jams it’s either been bits of songs that people know or 12 bar, would love to be able to make up and develop other chord sequences that work.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    I'm still toying with the idea of bringing my entire YBTB rig just for fun, so people can do some jams in the main area 

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    @modellista ; said:
    Cool. I think the show and tell was missing from the last Sasquatch, bar what goodies @CustomPedalBoards bought last time. 

I'll be bringing my new(ish) Kustom 36 Coupe.. haven't had a chance to properly put it through its paces so good opportunity. If people have Fender HRD/Blackfacy types, wouldn't mind comparing it as anecdotal evidence suggests the coupe does better than these.. would like to see for myself, or if HRD owners would like to try it an let me know what they think..
    Only got it back (bought it broken) this week, and love it so far on super quiet 5 mins before dinner time.. 
This discussion has been closed.