I don't get it. Why is Froome even riding the Giro d'Italia

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    Fretwired said:
    Cycling ... has is a huge problem ..
    Round my way they'll close the roads for it. As if ordinary people don't need the roads for the kind of things people usually need the roads for. I don't mind a bit if people want to travel on pedal-powered bicycles. I just fail to see why people who want to race on pedal-powered bicycles can't do it on a track instead of using the roads as their own private recreation ground. (Same goes for runners ...)

[ retreats to cries of Spoilsport Petrolhead etc]
    If it gives people pleasure why not? I assume you get notice. We have races where I live and we get plenty of notice so its not really an issue. An excuse to walk to the pub and watch ..
    Better yet, train up and compete!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    Round my way they'll close the roads for it. As if ordinary people don't need the roads for the kind of things people usually need the roads for. I don't mind a bit if people want to travel on pedal-powered bicycles. I just fail to see why people who want to race on pedal-powered bicycles can't do it on a track instead of using the roads as their own private recreation ground. (Same goes for runners ...)

If it gives people pleasure why not? I assume you get notice. We have races where I live and we get plenty of notice so its not really an issue. An excuse to walk to the pub and watch ..
    I'm far too old ... born in the 1950s ...  :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794

You have posted this before.

You could apply the same logic to any kind of event that takes place in a public area or that effects local people.

Its the same logic applied by people who move next to a venue then demand it's closure due to noise.

It's a selfish attitude. I don't like it therefore we shouldn't allow it.

I'm all for events in public places. Well advertsed,  plenty of warning, buy into it and enjoy.
    Bollox!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    MrBump said:
    I'm with Frankie Boyle on this - we should encourage drugs in sport, up to and including medical body modifications.  Froome competing in the Tour De France  with the legs of a kangaroo would be an awesome thing to behold.

He wouldn't even need a bike!

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4996
    edited May 2018
    Froome not going so well so far, 8th. Yates and Chaves though? Excellent stuff from the Mitchelton-Scott guys (neither of whom are racing under TUE's)

Image may contain 4 people people smiling text
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

I'm far too old ... born in the 1950s ...  :-)
    Not necessarily, there are blokes in their 60's & 70's hitting very respectable times for 10 mile time trials.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    Cycling and sport in general has a huge problem with drugs. At a base level, Froome has asthma and therefore can't compete at an equal level without drugs. That sort of makes a mockery of the whole thing before we even start. Take the asthma drugs away and Froome, like many others, is not a pro level athlete.

So because you allow TUEs you immediately have a problem. It's a double door that allows cheats to cheat and innocent athletes acting in good faith to make an error.

It's such a big blurred line and I think sport has a huge problem that it can't solve.
    It is an awkward issue isn't it - On one hand we put the likes of David Beckham and Paul Scholes on a pedestal - both suffer from asthma - yet we use them to show what you can do in sport, so don't put yourself down if you suffer from asthma - You can still compete be it a 6 year old kid or a 20 year old pro - Ditto Paula Radcliffe as an asthma sufferer 

Saw an interview once with John McEnroe and Pat Cash talking about injuries - Both said they never played a tournament without carrying some form of an injury - It is a case of how you manage them they said - Both said at times you need a pain killer to get you through - In short without this pain killer you would not have been able to compete - Gary Lineker did like wise for England in the world cup with a toe injury - He had it 'frozen' as such to take away the pain - Without this he would not have played - so all enhanced performances in some way or another 

But as you mention it leaves a door open to be exploited
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Amazing how many top athletes are asthma sufferers.  If that comment comes across as cynical, it is and yes it is meant to be.  Asthma sufferers claim that drugs let them compete with non sufferers on a level playing field.  Absolute codswallop.  Sport is about winning, the winners are usually freaks of one type or another - Usain Bolt is an example.  Why should anyone be given something that may make them competitive with the great man?  Or should Bolt have been doped to slow him down?  For a time he was the fastest man on the planet.  He set the standard for others.  Most could not reach his standard.  He is a freak of nature: tall, fast and strong.   Same with other top performers, Federer, Ronaldo, Messi etc.

For me a lot of sports have lost their appeal.  Mainly due to suspicions about drug usage to enhance performance.  Cycling, weight lifting etc. are beyond taking seriously these days.  The way that World Athletics ignored the State sponsored drug usage by Russia is a disgrace.  And FIFA gave the World Cup to Russia. So much for cleaning up the sports.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum