Anyone have a Dremel ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24350
I bought a cheap ‘Ferm’ Dremel-alike last year on impulse and was surprised at how much use it’s had since.  However, I’m now in need of a right-angle chuck attachment and I can only find genuine Dremel ones or Dremel compatible ones.  Ferm don’t make one for mine and I haven’t been able to establish whether the big collar thread is the same on mine as the official Dremel so I could use one meant for a Dremel.

I’ve discovered that the Dremel thread is a 3/4” UN12.  The external diameter of the threaded end of mine is 18mm.  I have no idea if that means they will fit or not!

My question(s) are;  do any thread experts know if a 3/4” UN12 nut will fit on an 18mm shaft and, as I suspect it may not, do you have any advice on which Dremel to get to replace my Ferm as there seems to be several models.

Ta!
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4178

3/4" is near enough 18mm, but the thread (UN) is going to be imperial.

That said, I bought a third-party flexible shaft (no laughing at the back) which fits both my cheapy Silverline knockoff as well as my kosher Dremel.  The only problem I found is that the thread on the Silverline wore out as the plastic casing wasn't made out of plastic after all, but Dairylea.  Whether that had anything to do with differing threads I don't know but I never forced anything that wouldn't obviously fit.

I bought the proper Dremel in B&Q - it was the cheapest one I could find.  I needed it to fit into the Dremel router base as that uses the chuck thread too, and the Silverline was obviously done for.  I already had the router base and couldn't be arsed waiting to buy the drill online, so you could no doubt find it cheaper...

https://www.diy.com/multi-tools-hobby-tools/dremel-230v-130w-corded-multi-tool-3000/203773_BQ.prd

• SporkySporky Frets: 28381
    randella said:

the thread on the Silverline wore out as the plastic casing wasn't made out of plastic after all, but Dairylea.

Ah, Silverline tools. Not worth the paper they're made from.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    randella said:

the thread on the Silverline wore out as the plastic casing wasn't made out of plastic after all, but Dairylea.

Ah, Silverline tools. Not worth the paper they're made from.

Hah yeah, in the main I'd agree.  I have the odd one of theirs that's OK - the aforementioned Dremel-a-like works fine if you don't need attachments (i.e. just as a drill).  I also have a pillar drill of theirs that I've used for years for all sorts and has surprisingly little runout.

But no - I wouldn't buy anything from them that I needed to get hard use from or that I needed to be bob-on accurate.  Assume their stuff is going to be utter dreck with the odd pleasant revelation and you won't go far wrong :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I have Dremel which is great although I expected a variable speed control rather than a fixed 4 speed control.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I used a cheap Dremel-like thing for a few years. Eventually splashed out on a proper Dremel. Much better, wouldn't go back to cheapies now.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7791

I've got a Black and Decker dremel-a-like which does have the same thread, and was noticeably cheaper at the time I bought it.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Paul_C said:

I've got a Black and Decker dremel-a-like which does have the same thread, and was noticeably cheaper at the time I bought it.

Which might well help Emp, as the flexi shaft thing I have is made by Black and Decker and fitted both the Silverline and the Dremel.

I've a sneaking suspicion that these things are fairly universal but wouldn't want to commit.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24350
    Well, I've just had a thought....  I'm going to need the right-angle adapter thingy regardless of whether it fits my Ferm or if I will have to get a proper Dremel to use it with, so I'll just buy the adapter and if it fits, great - if it doesn't I'll buy a proper Dremel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    tFB Trader
    While the diameters may be similar, the pitch and size of the threads may be different, so it is unlikely a imperial fitting will fit a metric thread, I'm not sure at those sizes, but it is certainly true with guitar hardware.

If the 12 in your 3/4 thread is teeth per inch, from what I can find 18 mm is 10.2 teeth per inch, i.e. a coarser thread that isn't compatible.
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    randella said:
    Paul_C said:

Which might well help Emp, as the flexi shaft thing I have is made by Black and Decker and fitted both the Silverline and the Dremel.

I've a sneaking suspicion that these things are fairly universal but wouldn't want to commit.

I had a cheap rotary that didn’t match the dremel stuff... my first one from Argos about 20 years ago.

then I got a dremel.  

Then my Dad got a dremel kit with most of the attachments, but never used it..  I got a free upgrade
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15973
    Image result for martin luther king
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm not getting that... Why is Dr King funny in relation to a Dremel?
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15973
    You never hear Dr King say.....I have a dremel?
    tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Is that it ?  A bit too tenuous for me !
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4920
    I say DREEM-el, you say DREMM-el...

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Mate of mine lent me his cordless Dremel a while ago. What a revelation that was, very impressed. OK, I broke it while I was using it, but as he'd bought a new one, it mattered not.

But when I get another one, it'll be cordless only. So much nicer to use. Dremel's are overpriced, though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I dream of a Dremel nearly every job I undertake nowadays, but actually buying one when a new pedal looks more inviting or instead of the regulatory Xmas money from my Mum (which pays the bills anyway) keeps one and all the little tools out of my grasp...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I have a Dremel. Mine broke itself - wire from stator to terminal sheared, no doubt due to vibration - there is no potting or epoxy to stop this happening. It's a common fault, you can normally just unwind and resolder but I couldn't as it was the wrong end! Good thing is that parts are available - new stator and it's back up and running. They are really handy things, I wouldn't be without one. pretty shittily made but most things are.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well, the attachment arrived.  The thread is different but it holds... But only by half a turn, which is less than ideal.

I've decided to buy a proper Dremel.  B&Q have the 3000 model for £45, so I'm off up there in a minute.