Septic Tanks / domestic sewage treatment

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2969
    I referred to WPL because they work with us on 'proper' package plant systems. So at least they are not cowboys! - but don't tell them I said that, gotta keep 'em keen.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/general-binding-rules-small-sewage-discharge-to-a-surface-water

Reading this it looks like:
    - you can keep your exisiting septic tank if you apply for a consent, but they are unlikely to give you one (and I believe that, they refuse us all sorts of 'fair' things). You then become liable for the septic tank meeting that consent.

- you can drain the existing septic to a soakaway, but you need land and they have a track record of refusing soakaway applications. This removes the discharge to watercourse aspect as it now spills all over the floor. Nice one Centurion!

- you can install a package plant, designed to treat all flows, and continue to discharge to watercourse, without a permit. But you still can't pollute. I take it this option means they will be unlikely to sample you as the design volumes have been checked out beforehand. This is where using a company like WPL will benefit as they understand loading rates and per capita contributions.

...but still no discharge criteria (unless you apply for a permit). I would still consider a septic tank a 'package treatment plant'. Just because it has no moving parts doesn't mean it's not removing organic load. The tighter the discharge criteria, the bigger the plant needs to be (££), with no effluent standard to meet it will be a hydraulic retention device, which is the same as a septic tank.

Sounds a bit shoddy, the way they are putting this legislation out.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    blobb said:
    gusman2x said:

I've known septic tanks that have never been emptied. They work by capturing some of the settleable solids and providing a degree of anaerobic treatment, the sludge cold digests in the tank the longer you leave it and, if you are not loading it up then the sludge will be eaten before it needs to be removed. Cold digestion of sludge releases ammonia back into the effluent so you have to be careful if you have an amm consent, unlikely on private system. As above, avoid applying for a permit, keep it descriptive under building regs.

Mine has never been emptied in the 18 years that ive been there, my nan lived there before and i cant ever recall her having it emptied too..since it was installed in 1988. i live alone an dont put anything daft in it, i dont even flush loo roll down the pan that ive blown my nose with.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2969
    ....there's a theory that our planets are merely atoms in a dog poo. I can happily extend that to atoms lingering in the bottom of a stagnant septic tank. One day the big sludge tanker will arrive (black hole) driven by a burly tanker driver called Dave (God). The End is Nigh, that guy with the placard was right.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'