New York: anyone been in February?

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
We fancy going to New York. I've been before (Oct 2001) but my g/f hasn't. She's spotted a really good deal for 5 nights, over Valentine's Day next year which is also the anniversary of when we got together.
Just wondering if it's the wrong time of year to go though and that's why it's cheap? Probably the height of winter and nothing on, but could also be quite romantic if it's snowy. Dunno!

Input welcome, oh wise forum.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24811
    My ex took our son at Feb half-term last year, expecting it to be freezing. They packed accordingly.

It was 15 degrees when they landed....
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I went first week in March and it was flippin freezing. Mainly bars and restaurants, did a comedy club and also got dragged into god knows where by some locals and had a close run-in with some Cubans. Don't particularly recommend that. 

Central Park was still good, normal tourist attractions..  nearly got hijacked in a taxi by a huge gay and his older client... in fact the more I think about the weekend it was a drunken haze. I do remember it being cold though.

Do hope that helps. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    My ex took our son at Feb half-term last year, expecting it to be freezing. They packed accordingly.

Did they pack 2 months in advance? 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24811

My ex-wife always liked to take ‘a lot’ of luggage - don’t know on this occasion - I just ran them to the airport in a hired Transit Van....
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    edited May 2018

My ex-wife always liked to take ‘a lot’ of luggage - don’t know on this occasion - I just ran them to the airport in a hired Transit Van....
    Yeah, but you check the weather the week leading up to it, pack like a couple of days before.  I mean it might turn out to be raining, but it won't do a 20c temperature swing.  That takes a HUGE change in air pressure and you can see that forecast from weeks away, like you can see a hurricane approaching with plenty of warning.

Packing lots of clothes is not really the same as packing for wrong weather.  Baffling. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

You sure she didn’t misread the tickets as New Road, York.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    I lived there

It can be variable.
    You could arrive in for 20 degrees, or you could be wandering about in 3ft of snow.
    You won't know until it is closer to the time.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Yes...coldest Ive been ever...that said, Central Park was a great scene. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27095
    We were there 2 weeks ago and it was still only about 5C. I prefer it cold than in the summer where it can be sweltering. But really NYC is great in all weathers, just in a different way. It's cheap because no-one goes *anywhere* in February. 

Go for it!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    We were there 2 weeks ago and it was still only about 5C. I prefer it cold than in the summer where it can be sweltering. But really NYC is great in all weathers, just in a different way. It's cheap because no-one goes *anywhere* in February. 

Go for it!

It was really hot that October I went. Over 30C plus all the pollution was a bit of a struggle for me, I'm happier when the temperature is in the 20s.
    So there'll still be stuff on then?
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Thoroughly recommend the Dark Skies app for ridiculously accurate global forecasts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7204
    Lived there for quite a few years and it’s a 24/7 , 365 day a year sort of place (the city that never sleeps). It will be cold but wrap up and you’ll have a brilliant time. It’s a city linked superbly by the subway so you’ll have no problem getting around no matter the weather.
    Lived there for quite a few years and it’s a 24/7 , 365 day a year sort of place (the city that never sleeps). It will be cold but wrap up and you’ll have a brilliant time. It’s a city linked superbly by the subway so you’ll have no problem getting around no matter the weather.

That's a bloody good point actually. I walked everywhere last time I was there, the subway scared me tbh. Not any more!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16716
    DiscoStu said:

That's a bloody good point actually. I walked everywhere last time I was there, the subway scared me tbh. Not now I have the g/f to look after me
    FTFY. ;)
    WezV said:
    DiscoStu said:

That's a bloody good point actually. I walked everywhere last time I was there, the subway scared me tbh. Not now I have the g/f to look after me
    FTFY. ;)
    You've met her then?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6392
    DiscoStu said:

Go for it!

It was really hot that October I went. Over 30C plus all the pollution was a bit of a struggle for me, I'm happier when the temperature is in the 20s.
    So there'll still be stuff on then?
    Everything will be open, but no street festivals I'd say - there's plenty to do in 5 days !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited May 2018
    @DiscoStu ;;;: The probability is that it would be very cold. There is also the risk of delayed flights and cancellations due to bad weather, although JFK copes very well with snow. It is something that you need to consider if you need to get back to work pronto.

I have relatives who live in New York City and they said that it was very cold in the New Year, this year.  However, it can be different  from year to year, although from February, the city  does get very cold. 

I was in NYC for Christmas 2017 and returned to London on 2nd January 2018. Some days were very cold. However, I wore a Medium Heavy Puffer Jacket and I was fine for walking about the city untroubled by the cold. On some days, I even wore a Light Puffer Jacket. I recall a trip I took on the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty and it was bitingly, freezing cold that day.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/119784/off-to-new-york-city-tomorrow/p1

If I may make a suggestion - do consider visiting NYC for a pre-Christmas shopping trip and tour of the city. The city comes alive and is magical in December. It is quite an experience for those who haven't visited the city before. I recommend from the 10th December 2018 would be best to capture the Christmas atmosphere.

Of course, it all depends on cost. Unfortunately, the airfares and hotels are quite expensive during December. If you depart the UK before the cut-off date of 15th December when all the major airlines increase their airfares for the holiday period, you can get cheap flights if booked months in advance. Also, I understand that Norwegian Airlines now fly to JFK from Gatwick, so you can check their budget advanced booking airfares.  

https://www.norwegian.com/uk/flights/from-london/to-new-york/

Do note that Thanksgiving is also a great time to visit the city, and you should be able to get some very good Flight & Hotel package deals. It isn't freezing cold then either. Don't get caught up  in the Black Friday sales crush, though.. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom