Speaker recommendations for a very small 1x12 low wattage amp.

DodgeDodge Frets: 1447
edited May 2018 in Amps
I have a mighty 2 watt 12AX7 into a 6V6 amp that I'm after speaker recommendations for.

I've had some great results running it through a 60's Vox alnico silver (in a 2x12, so not the stock cab) but I'm after any other recommendations of speakers that play nicely with low wattage amps.

I love Vox Blues / Silvers and Vox AC30 top boosts are my definition of good tone which I'd hope gives an idea of the sort of sound I like.

Slightly worried about lack of bass in the stock cabinet, so perhaps a bit of a leg up in that department would be good - and I like clarity in the treble response.  Mid range won't be a problem with this amp or cabinet.  A speaker with that cocked wah nasal V30 tone need not apply.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1027
    Do you get the bass that you want through the 2x12 cab? I only ask as I have a Minimat 2 that gets quite loud, but lacks bass. I'm running it through a 1x12 currently.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1447
    Do you get the bass that you want through the 2x12 cab? I only ask as I have a Minimat 2 that gets quite loud, but lacks bass. I'm running it through a 1x12 currently.
    A good question - the cab was a 2x12 with alnico silvers (which aren't blessed with the best of bass) and it sounded really good - and I was only using one speaker.  That's what made me think that bass response out of a tiny 1x12 cab (open backed) might be limited.  I understand if it's not there, then there's not a speaker in the world which will deliver it, but something 'weak' in bass might make the problem worse.

My gut says a pair of Blues will be epic.  I know the speakers and I know they play nicely with low wattage amps in open backed cabs, but I thought I'd put it out there to the Fretboard masses....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    A Blue will definitely do the job, or if you can find an old alnico Goodmans Audiom, even better - they're very fragile, but at 2W that isn't an issue. They're smoother and with more bottom-end than the Blue, but still clear at the top. Although I've just checked some prices on Ebay...!

Actually even an old ceramic-magnet Goodmans is worth a try - again their power ratings are notoriously optimistic, but they do sound very nice and are quite efficient. Likewise older Fanes, even from the cheaper series.

And I agree, a V30 is *completely* the wrong choice for a small amp for any reason other than sensitivity. It's one of the few speakers that really does need to be driven a bit harder to sound good, and at low power inputs it just sounds nasal, stiff and muddy all at the same time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1027
    I've gone the closed back 1x12 route and it helps. Maybe a 2x12 closed back would be even better... I use a Jensen C12 (one of the new ones) and it's fine as the amp is dark and has a big mid-focus.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31673
    I built a tweed champ, put it in a Blues Junior cab and went the vintage alnico route and it was horribly thin. The amp sounds amazing through a 4x12, but BJ cabs are shallow and boxy sounding things and I just happened to have one lying around.

I ended up bunging an old 12" PA driver in there I found in the attic and it sounds excellent, I even use it as a grungy sounding bass amp. 

Not a conventional answer I know, but very cheap! I got fed up with throwing £70-100 a time experimenting with an amp I only built for a bit of fun. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    Alnico Blue gets my vote. 

I need to try one in my Cub
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    A G12H30-type might do what you're after...firm up the bass, good treble response, decent mids, "big" sounding.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    A G12H30-type might do what you're after...firm up the bass, good treble response, decent mids, "big" sounding.
    Interesting suggestion. I've just tried a G12-35XC in it with really good results. Nice even frequency spread. I still think a Blue would be perfect, but this is very good indeed.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    edited May 2018
    For me the default answer to any 12" speaker question is the Blue, unless you need more power handling, or the budget won't allow.
    crunchman said:
    For me the default answer to any 12" speaker question is the Blue, unless you need more power handling, or the budget won't allow.
    You're preaching to the choir.  My favourite speaker by a mile.

That said, I heard a Fane A60 at the weekend - VERY nice indeed, and probably now the best of the alnicos for getting a Blue tone with better power handling.