Any Quilter players?

Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1393
edited May 2018 in Amps
I’ve had a Quilter 101 mini as my only amp for the last year or so.

My intention is to get another tube amp and have the Quilter as a backup or spare but to be honest I’ve been happy enough with it as a clean pedal platform.

I’ve only gigged it a few times and it’s loud enough and I used it for a recording session and it was ok too.
So much so that I’m thinking of “upgrading” to a 101R which has the more traditional EQ setting or the Aviator head which gets good reviews. 

If I do that , it’s unlikely I’d move back to a tube amp especially if I got an Aviator. I hear great things about these. I believe they are being discontinued.

Any other Quilter players?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Yep. I have a 101R and an OD200 and think you’re both great. I’ve put loads of gigs on the 101R and it never let me down.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1393
    Is the 101R loud enough for gigs? I am guessing at 50W, it would be roughly the same as a 15 or 20 W tube amp volume/head room wise?
    The 101 mini seems plenty loud. The Aviator is 100W so that would be almost too much. (Supposed to be a decent amp)
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Is the 101R loud enough for gigs? I am guessing at 50W, it would be roughly the same as a 15 or 20 W tube amp volume/head room wise?
    I always found it plenty loud and used it for festivals, outdoor and indoor pub gigs. That was with a Matrix 2x12 and instead of my usual Boogie MkV25 when travelling light.
    Maybe I should just hold on to the 101. If it ain't broke....
    Though I like the idea of a traditional EQ setting.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2334
    I've got a pro block.  Tbh I mostly use it for rehearsals, and as a backup, but I do occasionally use it for plug n play gigs and festivals.   I think its a great amp,  and have no problems being loud enough.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    I have a Micropro Mach 2 HD.  Back gigging after many years lay-off and only played a handful of gigs with it so far. 

Having said that, initial impressions are very favourable.  I'll admit my main motive was weight: I no longer want to lug a heavy combo to gigs.  The Quilter weighs 21 lbs.  Volume wise I would say it's in the same ball-park as a 30 or 40 watt 1 x 12".

I've gigged it in 3 bands,  a rock-cover band (not heavy rock or metal),  a small jazz/jazz fusion combo and a 9 piece swing band, and it handled every situation equally well.  I've used it as a pedal platform: it's not that I don't think the on-board dirt is good, I've just found it easier to use pedals I'm familiar with.

If it got stolen I might have a look at other options but my guess is I'd end up with another Quilter.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 915
    When I had an Aviator (2x10) I found I had no use for the clean channel, other than as a power amp for a Tech21 Character pedal.  It was just too clean and stiff sounding to me.  I always used the drive channel set for slight breakup, but I never managed to get a fully satisfying sound out of it.  It always had a certain honky character that I couldn't get away from.

I changed to a TB200 in the end, with the assumption that I'd always use it with an external preamp.  It works very well, but I think I'd use it more if it had a traditional tone stack.  Today it's just used as a backup, as I keep coming back to the simplicity of a combo (Roland BCA at the mo)

I think the 101R looks like the best overall choice of the current models.  I just wish it had an XLR out like the 200 series.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. The clean channel on the Aviator would be redundant, whereas the 101R would have everything I need. Just a one channel amp with classic EQ settings. Apparently some folk prefer the "surf" settings on the 101 mini to the R, but I guess you'd have to play them side by side. 
    I'll still eventually get a small valve head anyway down the line.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    Yeah to be fair I tend to forget the MicroPro is a two channel amp.  There must be uses for the second channel but not for anything I do.

The Fenderish clean sounds on the other channel are superb, though. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited May 2018
    I frickin love my Tone Block 201 - I play in a sludge/doom/thrash band and as a pedal platform it is absolutely loud enough. At practice where we really go hell for leather, I put the gain (which is moreorless a volume boost) and master volume/wattage about halfway and it is deafening.

However I definitely need an EQ pedal to go along with it as the on-board EQ really isn't that flexible.