Anyone use/used anything weird for a plectrum?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
I was thinking today about Brian May's use of an old sixpence coin as a plectrum, and wondering if anyone here uses anything strange? I tried the sixpence thing many years ago and it was terrible! I have no idea how he uses them???

When I first started playing many years ago I just couldn't keep hold of plecs at all, so I ended up using the nail of my index finger, with my index finger pressed agains my thumb (like holding a plec, but without one). The problem with this was that my nail was weak and always kept breaking, so I ended up wrestling with plectrums for a couple of decades.

Some years ago I came across the idea of using acrylic powder and liquid to 'build up' your nail, and it was a revelation for me - once again I could go back to just using my index fingernail. It usually lasts 2-3 weeks at a time and no more losing plectrums! 

Anyone else use anything off the beaten path?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Credit card, cut by the Pickmaster tool works OK for flat top acoustic
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • randellarandella Frets: 4178
    I watched somewhere, possibly one of those rig-rundown things, that Rick Parfitt could never keep hold of his pick so his roadie's job at the end of every day was to take a load of orange Dunlops and use a nail punch to bang perforations in them which made a serrated surface.

Thought that was quite clever.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    When I first started I cut out a plectrum shape from a plastic token that came free with shreddies, it was a picture of the millenium falcon!
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4178
    edited May 2018
    munckee said:
    When I first started I cut out a plectrum shape from a plastic token that came free with shreddies, it was a picture of the millenium falcon!
    We bought my dad a stocking filler thing last Christmas - one of those cutout jobs (like @Phil_aka_Pip has) that chops a pick-shaped chunk from plastic sheet.  The only plastic sheet we had to hand was my old expired work ID, so we tried it on that and I left the rest of the card with him when we left.

Fast forward a month or so and we're back up there, having a beer, about to play some guitars.  I ask if he's got a pick and, with a big grin on him, he hands me one with a perfectly cut out picture of my face on it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Credit card, cut by the Pickmaster tool works OK for flat top acoustic
    ... and when someone asks to "borrow" a pick and you know you won't get it back, you can hand over one of these free ones without worrying about it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    John McLaughlin used To cut his picks from plastic pie lids.  
    I could imagine plastic pies being (i) very chewy (ii) unpleasant smelling (and tasting) when heated
  • AlmachAlmach Frets: 105
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    I once jammed with a guy who used a match as a plectrum.

He got a few out of a packet, lit them enough to burn off the red tip, blew them out and off he went.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    An American Qtr. Lightweight alloy but big enough to hold. Lovely sqeal/click on the start of distorted notes (Think Tony Peluso - Goodby to love)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    I have a wooden plectrum, teardrop shape. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Genuinely once saw a guy using the headstock of another (whole) guitar as a pick. Looked ridiculous and I'm still not sure why he was doing it.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited May 2018
    A toothbrush, and a Star Wars Tazo from walkers crisps.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    John McLaughlin used To cut his picks from plastic pie lids.  
    When I was a skint teenager I used to make picks cut out of yogurt pots. 

Billy Gibbons famously used to use a Mexican peso. 
    (Ha ha, My autocorrect changed that to Mexican pedo  ;) )
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6137
    Thanks to the plectrum gremlin who hides in my house and eats my pics I often end up using a 1p coin. I have been tempted to take a file to one to make it more fit for purpose.. but then the gremlin would be after it ..sigh
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    boogieman said:
    When I was a skint teenager I used to make picks cut out of yogurt pots. 

I did that, too, for a while, until I realised they broke far too easily.
    equalsql said:
    Thanks to the plectrum gremlin who hides in my house and eats my pics I often end up using a 1p coin. I have been tempted to take a file to one to make it more fit for purpose.. but then the gremlin would be after it ..sigh
    Plectrum gremlins apparently can't get plectrums out of those Jim Dunlop spring-loaded plectrum holders, and seem not to like eating them while they're in the holder. I keep a holder in each guitar case, loaded with the plectrums I most like to use on that guitar; I also keep a holder in each room where I play and in my gig box. I think the aforesaid pick holders are a deterrent to most plectrum gremlins :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    I have used a 20p coin in emergencies though I wouldn't use one by choice. IMO it works better than other coins because it's flatter at the edges without the raised ring.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    axisus said:

When I first started playing many years ago I just couldn't keep hold of plecs at all, so I ended up using the nail of my index finger, with my index finger pressed agains my thumb (like holding a plec, but without one).
    I do that too. My nails must be reasonably strong since I almost never break it. (Or the middle one, which I tend to use for upstroke picking.)

The funny thing is that although I still don't use a pick for playing guitar, I now do for playing bass...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein