Using a second amp as a 'drive' channel?

What's Hot
HattigolHattigol Frets: 8190
Does anyone do this? I have a Vox AC15 HW1X, which sounds great on its own. For solos, I boost it with a TC Spark (and/or a J Rockett Archer). But I love the idea of getting a second (small, overdriven) amp, an A/B/Y pedal and basically kicking the second amp in over the top of the first. There's a gorgeous Rift 5w amp here which would fit the bill.

Thoughts welcomed? Downsides (other than lugging an extra amp around)?
"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    I do this at home with up to 3 amps.
    I reckon a combination of cost, lugging, venue space and potential phase issues are what put most people off doing it at a gig

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8190
    I do this at home with up to 3 amps.
    I reckon a combination of cost, lugging, venue space and potential phase issues are what put most people off doing it at a gig

Phase issues?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Alot of good info here:

• Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    Do it! Playing in a 3 piece originals band I played through a Fender Princeton for the cleans and a Marshall 1974x for the drive. Had them split stereo style on the stage left and right. I’d either run them together just for the tone or kick one in for chorus’ - It was like a second guitarist kicking in. 

I found that when I tried overdrives and distortions with the Princeton the tone changed too noticeably, so it worked well for me.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72602
    Most pro guitarists do this, for a good reason - it means the two amps can be mic'ed separately and given separate channels on the desk, each of which the sound engineer can set just right in the FOH mix so nothing needs to be changed when the player switches sounds.

The problem with using a single channel-switching amp, or a clean amp with a pedal, which is then mic'ed and fed to one channel on the desk, is that if the tone or volume jump when switched isn't quite right in the FOH mix - even if it sounds right to the player on stage - then the sound engineer will have to re-adjust the desk every time the player switches... which is a right pain!

You'll usually find that players who use both channels of a channel-switching amp actually have two amps set up, one permanently on each channel, for the same reason.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16148
    Its the best way to do it........great sound and big versatile spread of sound.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I don't think I read about it beforehand, but I interviewed Buffalo Tom after their Birdbrain album and was told he kicked in an additional stack for solos etc. Sounds like the best way to use a single channel amp. Provided you got roadies.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The main problem is sound guys. 

Most struggle to Mic one amp so with two you’re just asking for a bad time. 

It sounds great if you have a soundman that knows the band and the sounds, but if not it’s just a mismatched collection of volumes.
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1474
    I've done it off and on for years. A long while ago I had a pair of Twins and a pair of JCM800 half stacks on stage. That were fun.

One of my favourite recent set-ups has been a Tone King Imperial for cleans and a Lazy J J20 for dirt. Again, fun.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31659
    I do it on and off, depending on the venue and the engineer. 

I used to confuse a lot of them when I had a Marshall half stack for cleans and a pair of Fender combos for dirt.

:)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72602
    timmysoft said:
    The main problem is sound guys. 

Most struggle to Mic one amp so with two you’re just asking for a bad time. 

It sounds great if you have a soundman that knows the band and the sounds, but if not it’s just a mismatched collection of volumes.
    That's very true, but the odd thing is that with a tiny amount of extra effort at the start, it makes things much easier for them in the end, even if they don't know the band. A lot of the complaints about sound engineers seem to have this as a common feature - bad sound engineers make extra work for themselves and then resent it, good sound engineers find out what the band wants and then everyone has a better gig...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom