Got any bad habits?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
I changed car last year. The new one beeps after around 10 seconds if you start driving without your seatbelt on. It had never occurred to me before but I ALWAYS seem to drive off without putting it on, clicking it in place some 20 - 40m on my way. I've had the car a year now and I still can't seem to break the habit. It starts beeping and I am going "I KNOW I KNOW!" in an irritated voice!

I never forget to belt up, I just have this ridiculous bad habit of driving off before it is on.

Got any bad habits?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    yes, but admitting to any is not one of them
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Oh it would be a very long list, including that thing with the seat belt. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    axisus said:
    I changed car last year. The new one beeps after around 10 seconds if you start driving without your seatbelt on. It had never occurred to me before but I ALWAYS seem to drive off without putting it on, clicking it in place some 20 - 40m on my way. I've had the car a year now and I still can't seem to break the habit. It starts beeping and I am going "I KNOW I KNOW!" in an irritated voice!

I never forget to belt up, I just have this ridiculous bad habit of driving off before it is on.

Got any bad habits?
    Why?

This makes literally no sense yet I see lots of people doing it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    I do the opposite. When I am about to park a car and am slowing down - I undo my seatbelt. Never in traffic and only when doing below 10mph. I have no idea why.
    I am the very last passenger on the plane to undo my seatbelt though. Weird. And I know it's not smart.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    My bad habit is leaving things to do until the last moment, and then I rush around to complete a task. I think a lot of people are guilty of that. Fortunately, all my misses have turned out straight. 

Talking about cars, although this isn't bad habit - I've owned my Ford Cougar for 18 years. I bought a Hyundai Coupe in February. The two cars have their controls on stalks on the opposite side of the steering wheel to each other. I haven't made a mistake on the old car, but each time I get in the new one I have to deliberately think on which side the indicator is located, and I got it wrong quite a few  times. I guess instinct and muscle memory kicks in.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    I think quickly and finish peoples sentences because I've moved on to the next bit already. 

Also do the seatbelt thing.  Only started wearing a seatbelt when I got three points for it (in the days before your car would scream at you if you didn't.)  In fact I hit a telegraph pole head on at a decent speed (somebody swerved in front of me) with no detriment to my health.  Killed the car though.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Thumb over
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Never understood the driving off without the seatbelt thing. You see people wrestling themselves into it, while trying to drive. Seriously, Wtaf?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    I murder people and effectively hide the bodies.
    I feed them to pigs and make jewellery out of the teeth.
    The perfect crime.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    Yes though not all totally car related. I know if I am about to drive off I usually go into gear first then release the handbrake. I don't know if this is classed as bad, some might release handbrake first then go into gear. I signal too close to manoeuvring as well.

Non driving wise I think I over-think and worry too much, always assuming worst case scenario. I hate being late so I always leave earlier than need to be but end being too early at times.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    rocktron said:

Talking about cars, although this isn't bad habit - I've owned my Ford Cougar for 18 years. I bought a Hyundai Coupe in February. The two cars have their controls on stalks on the opposite side of the steering wheel to each other. I haven't made a mistake on the old car, but each time I get in the new one I have to deliberately think on which side the indicator is located, and I got it wrong quite a few  times. I guess instinct and muscle memory kicks in.   
    You're like me, riding a japanese bike, with the gearshift and rear brake reversed. When I'm thinking about it I can change gear with the left foot but whenever I stop thinking about it It "change gear" with the right foot. A 'downshift' does nothing (you can't hook the brake pedal up with your toe) and a thoughtless 'upshift' applies the rear brake.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    octatonic said:
    The perfect crime.
    Are you trying to out-vim @VimFuego ; ?
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15521
    oi, that was uncalled for. It was next doors pigs.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    The seat belt thing for me is even though I sometimes think about driving without it, even for a few seconds, I don't.
    I hear Jimmy Saville going "Clunk Click Every Trip"
    STILL!  And obviously it's now not the greatest thing to know you're taking advice from Jimmy Saville.
    There was even something in the ads about always wearing your seat belt even if you're just going around the corner.
    Total conditioning at a deep level. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    edited May 2018
    octatonic said:
    The perfect crime.
    Are you trying to out-vim @VimFuego ;; ?
    I would have said out-Fuego but essentially yes. :)
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22167
    octatonic said:
    The perfect crime.
    Whereas if you murdered pigs, hid the evidence by feeding them to people, and made jewellery out of the teeth, you'd have a very popular business in the hipper areas of London. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28381
    Grunfeld said:

STILL!  And obviously it's now not the greatest thing to know you're taking advice from Jimmy Saville.

I think it's OK to take good advice from bad people.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Sporky said:
    Grunfeld said:

I think it's OK to take good advice from bad people.
    Saville was talking about seat belts tho, yeah?
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    rocktron said:
    My bad habit is leaving things to do until the last moment, and then I rush around to complete a task. I think a lot of people are guilty of that. Fortunately, all my misses have turned out straight. 

Interestingly the indicator control stalk for RHD cars should be on the right hand side of the steering wheel. It allows you to change gear, steer, and still indicate.
    The reason it isn't on most cars is because they're LHD conversions.
    Driving an old Japanese car (hint: they drive on the left) is quite nice because of this.

My bad habit is inflicting my useless knowledge upon others when they neither requested nor wanted it.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    rocktron said:
    My stepson is the same, he’s known in the family as Last Minute Dan. Always seems to get away with it by the skin of his teeth. A few years back he and his wife moved to Malawi... he was still doing their tax returns at the airport minutes before their flight took off.