So looks like Yamaha bought Ampeg!

What's Hot
rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
Just posted on Facebook. Could be interesting to see what they do with it. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    That many variants of the classic SVT that it could go either way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    Interesting.

I love the sound of an SVT, but I am now resigned to never owning one - because of the colossal weight, size, cost, cost of regular re-valving, and for the modern models not really that great build quality or reliability.

Maybe we will see a THR1000...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2338
    Good move. Ampeg have been losing ground. Great tone, but not so happy with the current quality. This can only be good news for bassists.
  • telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    I could think of much worse companies than Yamaha to take up the brand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    Now if the just bought Gibson, Suhr and Mesa Boogie life would be just grand. 

Oh and RJM. 

Do they give you free gear then? ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    Yamaha does an excellent job at keeping their acquisitions at arm's length, but giving them access to the QC and R+D resources that generally improve any manufacturing enterprise.

Previous examples include Line 6 and Steinberg... both still run as their own entities, not "dumbed down" in any way but still little hints here and there of their corporate parentage.

I think this is a good thing.
    ICBM said:
    Alas no. I do get a level of support as an “artist(ish)” as well as helping out with freelance stuff when they need it. Just be good to get better prices/ support on the stuff I either use or want to use. 

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12682
    ICBM said:
    Alas no. I do get a level of support as an “artist(ish)” as well as helping out with freelance stuff when they need it. Just be good to get better prices/ support on the stuff I either use or want to use. 
    Plus, I think Yamaha could save Gibson from themselves.

Imagine Yamaha appointed QC practices, concentrating on it as a heritage brand and marketing it properly...

I doubt it would happen, but its a nice thought.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:

Plus, I think Yamaha could save Gibson from themselves. 

Imagine Yamaha appointed QC practices, concentrating on it as a heritage brand and marketing it properly...

I doubt it would happen, but its a nice thought.
    I've thought that before too. Not only would Yamaha be a good fit for Gibson, they're one of the few companies who are both large enough to buy the whole operation, and would also have uses for Gibson's other brands - Philips audio,Teac etc - since they already have a presence in those areas.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Love Yamaha but also find them infuriatingly slow in product release and range, certainly in the guitar arena. The exact opposite of the model year trend that Gibson play in. There’s is more like a 20-year cycle for every product released.
    dindude said:
    Love Yamaha but also find them infuriatingly slow in product release and range, certainly in the guitar arena. The exact opposite of the model year trend that Gibson play in. There’s is more like a 20-year cycle for every product released.
    You say that like it's a bad thing...

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    ICBM said:
    dindude said:
    You say that like it's a bad thing...
    Not really a bad thing but they miss opportunities. Give us a less blingy SA2200, or a P90 one, or slightly smaller body one, all in their past and capability with little R&D. Give us a chambered or single P90 Revstar. May not sell huge but gets the range back in reviews and front of mind again. An updated THR with Helix informed sounds would sell like hot cakes. Just try a bit harder is all I’m saying.
    dindude said:
    Japanese manufacturing culture in general works this way, unfortunately. Very hard to shift that at the most basic level.
    Whitecat said:

Japanese manufacturing culture in general works this way, unfortunately. Very hard to shift that at the most basic level.
    It is at least better than the model-year change-for-the-sake-of-it nonsense that originated in the American car industry and which Gibson have adopted with such enthusiasm.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Whitecat said:

It is at least better than the model-year change-for-the-sake-of-it nonsense that originated in the American car industry and which Gibson have adopted with such enthusiasm.
    This is true. I think companies like Fender have found the happy medium - refresh every few years, and otherwise maybe just chuck in the odd new colour here and there or something in the interim to keep people from getting too bored.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Good move imo. I'm not usually 'brand loyal', but Yamaha as a company have really got it together and know how to make great product with great quality control. (You can tell I like Yamaha,right?)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    Good move. Ampeg have been losing ground. Great tone, but not so happy with the current quality. This can only be good news for bassists.
    Some of Ampeg's recent low cost offerings have traded pretty shamelessly on the Ampeg name. But having been burned by their Micro CL I persevered with a PF-20 flip top and it's proving to be a great amp.
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 215
    Can we call the new ones Yampegs?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom