Charging your teenagers rent

What's Hot
Yo
We have two sons, 18 and 16. The eldest has been working since he was 17 barring a few months gap recently but he's back into a job which seems to be going well.

Although he's not a naughty lad, quite the opposite, he does give us an enormous amount of grief at home. Typical teenager stuff but on a scale that I never believed was possible.

Anyway, we're running out of ways to incentivise a better attitude so think we might try charging him rent. I'm not sure how that would work exactly, but I think it would start to make him focus on how he budgets his money which might then teach him a bit about how we have to budget our money, time, energy etc.

What's the going rate? Should I take 25% of our mortgage from him? 15% of his monthly wage? A flat £100?

I'm thinking I'll put the money into a separate account and decide later if we release it back to him.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    My folks charged me £125 a month all in, back in the early/mid 90s.
    I was happy with that and felt good to be contributing.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Its a good idea and can see the potential benefits, but what happens if he doesnt pay?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285
    When I was eighteen, thirty years ago,I was paying my parents £25 a week on £120 a week wages.I thought this was quite fair.

My eldest who is also eighteen earns £160 a week as an apprentice mechanic and we agreed on him paying £20 a week.Extremely fair,considering I was paying £5 more thirty years ago. Now he's hitting the pubs and bars he now thinks he shouldn't have to pay anything and we should fully support him.

And who said kids today aren't entitled.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28372
    I paid my mum rent when I moved back after uni (well, second job after uni) until I got my own place, at which point she gave me all the rent back as a moving out present.

Which was awfully nice of her.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Hopefully the resentment will have died down by the time it is to find you a nursing home.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    I paid rent to my parents when I was 16-20 (when I left home). It wasn't a huge amount, I think about £100-150 a month, but that was 1989-1992. So, if you added in inflation, that's more like £250-300 a month in today's money.

Way less than you'd need to pay for rent from a private landlord, or a flat share, but a reasonable chunk on a lowish wage. It was about 15-20% of my wage (by the end of that period).
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Don’t young people living at home, pay board, now?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705

Thinking of charging my lad rent as well. 

The fact he's 9 and has no source of income is the main stumbling block at the moment.   The glimmer of hope is open fires are coming back so the demand for chimney sweeps is likely to rise.

17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Charge him the market rate for your area. It will teach him self reliance, the value of money, etc and you'll be quids in. Everyone's a winner.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    I should add that he is also still a student, though his course is "full-time" which apparently means 2 days at college and 5 days sleeping.
    So, he isn't earning a full-time wage but he could be earning more.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    I paid £10 a week on £32 a week gross, it was a part of the then non existent relationship with my parents.So my 3 never paid rent as such.

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1656
    Be warned this could backfire.. it could invite the attitude to to further treat the family home as a hotel given he's paying for digs.

It may also incite a desire to leave home.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    Be warned this could backfire.. it could invite the attitude to to further treat the family home as a hotel given he's paying for digs.

It may also incite a desire to leave home.
    I don't think there's any hotel services he isn't already using! We could just about suck it up, if he didn't complain about the fact we bought the wrong milkshake for his bodybuilding diet, or expected us to measure out his spaghetti for his post-work dinner.
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    When I left school and started earning my parents asked me to contribute to the household kitty. I think that was fair, and right. I can't remember what they asked me for; it wasn't burdensome but not trivial either. It was probably a fair estimate of the cost of feeding me washing my clothes and keeping clean that part of the house that I'd messed up.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited May 2018
    my first take home pay was £30 a week in 1976 and my Mum took £5 religiously and without fail. Also, when was saving for a car, they helped by LENDING me the money for the insurance but at the market rate of then 7%

I never got anything for nothing from them when was past 18.

But within 2 years I had bought this brand new:

and 2 years later this

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8e/b0/ef/8eb0ef3470b85a8fd6f8d01c030ac7c5.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    the first one looks more aerodynamic ;-)
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    I took money from my boys once they were earning and out of further education.
    It helps them appreciate what you provide and gives them a proper perspective, if you don't they'll stil be living there when they're 30 complaining about everything and paying nothing.
    I too gave the money back later (one way or another). I should point out that both my lads are quite different and always have been. One can't hold cash without blowing everything and the other can't spend his or my money on anything but essentials. They were both brought up the same.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Once i graduated i was charged rent for living at home. Can't remember how much but it wasn't a lot.. It was something like £120pcm..
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    I had to give my parents money for my keep as soon as I started full time work. No idea how much now but it was enough to make me move out and get a flat share with some mates. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Charge something low but noticeable, £150-200. 
    I paid board when I stayed with my parents during my first job.

If you're feeling particularly generous you can set it aside and give it towards moving costs if/when he moves out.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!