Recommend someone to make me a neck

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11600
    edited March 2014 tFB Trader

London prices - I think sometimes pricing for work done is to a degree based on the cost of running an operation in an area where rents are high and the cost to keep going is dictating what you have to charge.

Logos - ok this is something of a sticky point with me and certain other builders and for good reason.
    I won't put a Fender or Gibson logo on a guitar or neck that isn't made by that company, even though some people may do that.
    Fender are getting increasingly litigious over that sort of thing and I wouldn't put them past resorting to entrapment so they could sue or shut people down.
    Heck I recall hearing that they even put a shop out of business a few years ago for advertising an s-style guitar as a strat that wasn't a Fender product.

I'm happy to put custom logos on however than doesn't infringe on other brands/makers.

I certainly won't put a Feline logo on a neck we didn't build as that can be misleading and serves nobody well in the long run.
    I do like guitars we do build to have our logo on as I want to build and extend my reputation.

Over the years players are increasingly pleased to have that too, and as brand recognition grows/increases they can feel happy to own something that is increasingly well regarded.

Refinishing - something of an issue for me recently when it comes to paint refinishing as we don't have in house facilities for high gloss finishes 
    Oil finishing we do a lot and are pretty good at - especially with all the work we do for Blackmachine, but it can still be time consuming and wages need to be paid.

Sadly the companies we have dealt with who used to offer trade prices to builders and repairers have all decided to charge us the same as they would the man on the street.
    In the past we could get paintwork done and pay a "trade price" and then we could then pass the work onto our customers at a rate that is no greater than they would pay if they went direct to the paintshop. 

Now having to pay the full retail price means that we have to be more expensive than going direct as we have overheads involved in the process - and the tax ,man putting his hand in our pocket - both in terms of turnover and VAT too.
    Also we have to deal with any frustration when things get delayed by the painters or things don't go as smoothly as anticipated (and if you are doing that for no reward then you are either a masochist or making poor business choices)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xwolf5150xwolf5150 Frets: 180
    I got a really cool logo. Fender Stratocaster, under it says Made in Wales and the part that normally says ' original contour body ' says 'obvious custom copy '. Should look great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom