Any Fishman Fluence users here?

What's Hot
Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
I've just put a set of Modern Alnico's in my Boden OS 6, and just wanted to confirm a few things with others.

I was drawn to them because when split they sounded like they had a lot of twang, and to be fair they do, but even though I've got the modern set that is aimed more at metal players, I'm surprised by just how early they break up, like they even get a super clean Fender amp distorting early, which came as a surprise.

What I wanted to confirm with someone is do the voicing react differently depending on the amp settings? I noticed that if I was playing something cleaner there was more of a noticeable volume drop changing to voice 2, but if I was using gain, it didn't drop volume, just changed the sound a bit, it's like the voicing change reacts differently depending on the amp and the gain, is this normal?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    edited May 2018
    Jack_ said:
    Hello, yes.
    Jack_ said:
    do the voicing react differently depending on the amp settings? I noticed that if I was playing something cleaner there was more of a noticeable volume drop changing to voice 2, but if I was using gain, it didn't drop volume, just changed the sound a bit, it's like the voicing change reacts differently depending on the amp and the gain, is this normal?
    Yes.

If anything, the gain/volume change is the entire point of the Voice switching feature.

On the Fluence Classic set bridge pickup, the difference is equivalent to changing from a vintage P.A.F. to a Duncan JB. The latter should (and does) drive the pre-amp stage of an amplifier further into overdrive saturation. There is an increase in mid range *push* and a corresponding drop in treble detail. The treble reduction from the Voice 2 mode of the pickup is compensated for to some extent by the increase in harmonic overtones generated in the amplifier.

Beyond a certain level of overdrive, almost everything gets clipped. The input signal strength makes increasingly little difference to perceived output. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited May 2018
    Jack_ said:
    Hello, yes.
    Jack_ said:
    do the voicing react differently depending on the amp settings? I noticed that if I was playing something cleaner there was more of a noticeable volume drop changing to voice 2, but if I was using gain, it didn't drop volume, just changed the sound a bit, it's like the voicing change reacts differently depending on the amp and the gain, is this normal?
    Yes.

If anything, the gain/volume change is the entire point of the Voice switching feature.

On the Fluence Classic set bridge pickup, the difference is equivalent to changing from a vintage P.A.F. to a Duncan JB. The latter should (and does) drive the pre-amp stage of an amplifier further into overdrive saturation. There is an increase in mid range *push* and a corresponding drop in treble detail. The treble reduction from the Voice 2 mode of the pickup is compensated for to some extent by the increase in harmonic overtones generated in the amplifier.

Beyond a certain level of overdrive, almost everything gets clipped. The input signal strength makes increasingly little difference to perceived output. 
    Thanks for the confirmation.

FWIW I do really like them, they're incredibly spanky, which I like. They do those dissonant chords brilliantly.

Tempted to buy the Classic pair on here now for my Les Paul.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom