REAL Rules For Playing Live...?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Danny1969 said:
    Nobby said:

Don't have music stands on stage. If you don't know the lyrics/chords to the material you're playing, then you and you're band aren't ready to play live.

Go back to the rehersal studio or wherever and learn the songs.

Ahh, takes me back to the days of MusicRadar where we had epic threads about this. As a general rule I agree with you  - for anything 'rock'n'roll anyway - although there may be circumstances such as if you have a dep in.

It is often also very difficult to sing from lyric sheets ( go google the lyrics to Johnny B Good and try singing them at the proper tempo whilst reading them, go on. Go on. Go on. Go on go on go on go on go on go on)and crib sheets of any sort are of limited use on a darkened stage so I'm suprised they pop up as often as they do.
    It's a quick look at the first line I think, you kinda know the lyrics but need a pointer for the first line 

There's some cool iPad apps now that scroll for you and you can see that in the dark
    I have sung in bands ( despite a fairly awful singing voice) and it is very hard to wean yourself off that reliance on checking the words but if you are properly lost they don't help and they do mean you aren't concentrating 100% on your vocal performance. On the other hand if you are a functions band with a 100 song repertoire knowing everything in it word for word, note for note might be asking too much.

I saw a rock covers band, maybe a couple of years ago now. Very good band but their singist had lyrics on a sheet on a stand so the stand was centre stage. For stuff like Alright Now or Black Magic Woman did he really need a crib sheet? I'm sure most of the audience knew most of the words.Just annoyed the heck out of me.  
    :x
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10421
    Music stands are a no go for me .... looks rubbish 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Danny1969 said:
    Music stands are a no go for me .... looks rubbish 

Only acceptable at jamnights. When the singist hasn't picked the song.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3083
    edited April 2014

My work colleagues band uses stands but we don't play many gigs (once a year if we're lucky). I've weaned myself off them but the others are tied to them still.

Our singist struggles to remember the words for songs.. I don't understand how I'm expected to remember all the solos to 50+ songs mostly note for note and he can't remember the words...

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited April 2014

Ploughing an old furrow....but having a music stand is better than getting the chords to the middle 8 wrong.

Musicians seem to care about other musicians using music stands, general punters don't.

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    People are there to see live music, not shit comedy.

Don't spend five minutes spelling out all of your various web addresses.

Try and share kit/backline to quicken changeovers, it's frustrating from both a band and audience point of view to have a 90 minutes of silence in the evening whilst every guitarist lugs around an identical 4x12 and each drummer an identical kit.

But be reasonable about it. Make sure everyone makes contact first to be sure what you're sharing (there's no excuse not to in 2014 with Facebook etc), and don't be a dick about it. As a bassist, I'd always double-check people were happy with me using a distortion pedal with their rig.

By all means help your drummer setup, but make sure that you're actually helping. I'd always help the drummer setup/tear down at practise, so I knew where he wanted stuff.

Don't expect the soundman at the Dog and Duck to mic a wet/dry/wet rig for each guitarist.

Don't rehearse during the soundcheck. One member at a time, when the soundman tells you. Leave everything alone after this, don't then turn the amps up to be rock and roll. A quiet stage is a happy stage.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    edited April 2014

Don't spend five minutes spelling out all of your various web addresses.

Reminds me of that Phoebe Buffay thing ( I are having to paraphrase/ vaguely remember here) - 'if anybody ( in the audience) wants to know more online about my upcoming gigs then please give me the money to buy a computer.'

EDIT: found the exact quote. I was amazingly close:

"Phoebe : [Right after playing a song in the coffee shop ] If you want to receive e-mails about my upcoming shows, then please give me money so I can buy a computer."
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Another one:

Soundcheck as you play. If you're going to be fingerpicking with a clean sound for most of the set, don't spend your whole soundcheck playing widdly high gain solos.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3083
    ^^ This. I have to explain that some of my sounds are louder than others more often than I'd like. I get a "look" from people when I suggest we soundcheck another song with some solos in it.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    1. Don't bother with anything other than one amp because the bell-end sound engineers will refuse to mike 2. (Leslie cabs- utterly pointless.
    2. Always do your desk soundcheck using CLEAN signal only. Only engage drive pedals when the show begins ;)
    3. Never, ever try and get audience participation unless you're Glenn Tilbrook, who does it better than anyone I've ever seen.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• danodano Frets: 1594
    edited April 2014
    I always like setlist with a nite for each song of what guitar im using (say les paul or tele) and what pedals are turned on for the start. And tempo listed for delay if needed. So if im lost in the moment at the end of a song i can quickly get a reference of whats needed for the next one.

i also keep a small maglite on the floor by my board.

Set the amp slightly cleaner / less overdriven that you normally use so it doesnt get lost.

Know where you spare cables is. Actually have a practice of changing your amp fuse.

Make sure you have cables from guitar to amp routed where you wont stand on them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom