NAD Badcat Hotcat 30r

sweepysweepy Frets: 4197
What with all this Badcat activity I remembered that I had not done a NAD post, so here it is

https://i.imgur.com/kFBg9qJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/i1iswdi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nqgEwwB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/c8o2tsE.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    What's it like?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4197
    Bloody lovely, the overdrive is rich and fruity and the cleans are very dynamic
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I've been using a hotcat 30r head, 2014 version, with matching 2x12 cab for the last few years now. It's a great amp. Has one of the best drive channels of any amp to my ears. It's a very complex sound with lots going on. The clean channel is excellent  but can be overly bright at lower volumes. The low end/body seems to come once the volume is turned up on the clean channel. And it's a loud amp! I find the amp sits really well in a band mix and gets a stunning sound at the levels at which most of us can get away with these days. Like any valve amp though. Sounds best when cranked up!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27218
    Very nice. I've not tried a Hot Cat but assume it's like a wound-up Cub/Black Cat type of thing, i.e. more of the same but more gain on tap?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    The K Master System makes it very flexible as well as the dual reverb levels. I did get a bit of a bargain as it had a Flightcase Warehouse full Flightcase with it which takes it from heavy as f**k to “where is the forklift” ;). It would be interesting to try it into an extension cab, especially a 4x10 but the 12” speaker seems to suit it. Not terribly keen on the half power switch as it seems to have a tonality shift which I’m not 100% sure of so it stays on full beans 
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    Although the hotcat has that badcat/matchless character to the sound. It sounds very different to the black cat and cub models. The other 2 are much closer in sound to each other but the hotcat sounds different. It does have a higher amount of gain. But it's a much thicker sound. The hotcat runs on el34 power tubes the others el84's. But the black cat is their take on the ac30. I thought the cub had a very similar sound. Could be as both of them use an ef86 valve on one of the channels. 
    Although the hotcat circuit started off as a ac30 based circuit it was modded massively to give it it's tone. I think it's got ac30 qualities to the sound. But there's Marshall qualities in there as well. Plus a load of low end. The gain is very smooth also.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    Never tried a BC and I feel like I should and this sounds right up my street...hmm...

Happy NAD btw.
    Sounds interesting. I have a Cub 3 and often wondered what the Hot Cats are like. I see you have a mike in front of it....I don't suppose you have any clips?
    edited May 2018
    The SM57 was put there to demo my rather insane pedalboard, hopefully when I get some time to myself I’ll get some recording done
    If you fancy a trip, bring your Cub and main guitar, tea, hobnobs and general silliness usually takes place
    Sounds like a great idea sweepy....a Cat fight :-)
    Indeed ;) I’m easily accessible from the M40