What would you do?

What's Hot

I've been asked by some guys I used to play with in a wedding band, who have since become friends, to help out with a recording project with a singer/song writer they are friendly with. He wanted to record an album of mostly original material and some covers. So far, so good.

I was sent eight mp3's, and my heart sank. Every song had an acoustic guitar and vocal, straight four to the floor rhythm, and nothing to distinguish one song from another. Bland is being kind. This is nothing to do with music snobbery, there are numerous simple songs that I love, but it has more to do the fact that if every song is in the same key and has the same rhythm, and sung in a un-dynamic, passionless drone. I worked for a few small record labels in England as a jack of all trades, engineer/musician and in later times a producer, so I have some insight into how much work and effort it takes to make a track work.

Next step was a rehearsal with the guy, who was very pleasant, but the material needs soo much work. We, the drummer, bassist and myself, changed some of the songs thythms slightly, but never changing the time signature, so 4/4 was always still the pulse, but it was enough to throw him off. Enough that he couldn;t find the “one”. He thinks if he goes into a proper studio for a day or two it will sound professional. It needs arranged, engineered and produced. If we play what he has in mind, it will still sound utter, utter shit, just with a band playing it, rather than a individual.

“Dont worry, I'll see you right” I've been in this situation before and it's never ended well. The studio gets paid but the musicians who helped develop the project get next to nothing or more probably, nothing (which has happened before, on several occasions).

I would need better nearfield monitors, and some Slate Drum software to do justice to the project, which would be my charge for the project, though I've no idea he'd run to this much,( probibly 600 Euro in total), but I'm worried that this guy will not hear the the benifits as he is so musically unaware.

My question is this....

Would you attempt to help this guy, and in doing so help yourself get better kit, or just run away and be rerieved you had no stress to worry about?

Cheers.

Finbar.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24833
    edited May 2018
    I’ve been asked to play on something recently. To be fair, the basic idea is a strong one - and I’ve come up with some acoustic parts that I think enhance it - and that the writer is really pleased with. 

I see my role as playing the best I can for him - while ultimately respecting its his project. I’m not expecting any money whatsoever - I’m just enjoying being involved in something.

Forgive me for being blunt - but it sounds to me like your ego won’t allow you to view it this way. If I’m right, you should probably (politely) extricate yourself from the situation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14479
    The music project described in the OP is the audio equivalent of vanity publishing. 

I consider FINBAR2004's reluctance as less a matter of egotism and more a matter of self-esteem and/or wishing to maintain standards. 

If the contributing musicians were being offered the proper professional rates for performing the songs anonymously, that would be one thing. If the singer/songwriter character is as naïve as described, the chances are that, when the project does not sell in the millions, the singer/songwriter will tell himself that the backing musicians are the reason why. 

FINBAR2004 said:
    “Dont worry, I'll see you right”
    Never trust anyone who says, "trust me".

If you want an easy get out, ask how much and for something in writing. The naïve songwriter will suddenly remove you from the project.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4798
    Drop out before you cause this chap trouble and expense. It doesn't sound like you're that interested in helping him, TBH, and you've been sucked into it by your ex-bandmate asking you. 

It's about the singer and his songs. It's not about the people in the band. If you don't want to be part of helping him, let him find someone else sooner rather than later. Even people who can't sing and write dreadful generic songs deserve the chance to be supported and get them recorded as good as they possibly can be. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Agree that you should get out ASAP.
    There are a lot of these sorts of artists and they are usually very frustrating to work for because they don’t work on the things they need to work on to lift the project.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Oh and let him down easy.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24367
    Run.  For doing anything else will just bring a plateful of frustration your way and life is too short to waste any of it on pointless crap.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • mistercharliemistercharlie Frets: 333
    Even people who can't sing and write dreadful generic songs deserve the chance to be supported and get them recorded as good as they possibly can be. 
    I disagree. He may be technically entitled to as much support and help as anyone else, but only if he’s offering something in return. In this case, it sounds like he’s offering very little. Nobody “deserves” to use the time and talent of others for whatever crap they want to.

Working on a cool, creative, or fulfilling project for free is one thing, as is working for the experience, or just to connect with great artists. But nobody has to work on a crappy project for no reward whatsoever.

Plus, when it all turns out shit, the fellow who wrote these songs may blame everyone else but himself. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I’d walk. Now.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• horsehorse Frets: 1569
    It's easy enough to just say you haven't got the time available to be involved at the moment. I'd only be involved in things I actually like, but will do so for free because I enjoy it
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    horse said:
    It's easy enough to just say you haven't got the time available to be involved at the moment. I'd only be involved in things I actually like, but will do so for free because I enjoy it
    That's almost the Tommy Tedesco rules. Do it if it satisfies at least two of:
    1. It's fun
    2. It gets you good street cred
    3. It pays properly

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • vizviz Frets: 10700
    edited May 2018
    horse said:
    That's almost the Tommy Tedesco rules. Do it if it satisfies at least two of:
    1. It's fun
    2. It gets you good street cred
    3. It pays properly

The Viz rules are:

1) It’s musically interesting
    2) It’s for a good cause or helps a friend
    3) It’s fun

Do it if it satisfies at least one of the above. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Be honest. Tell them the songs good demos but need work as they are bland and boring. If they disagree with you simply walk away. If they are open to your input it could be an interesting project. It all depends on the dynamics between the people involved.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Been there, done that. I wasted a lot of my time.
    Drop it - the best way is to be honest, as noted above. That will get you taken off the project!!
    As you say he is musically unaware, therefore he will not appreciate your contribution anyway.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9812
    Sounds like Ed Sheeran is trying to book you?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2085
    Don’t do It.....neither of you will ever be happy with the result.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Gig offers need to have the right combination of fun, interesting and pay.      I’ve done some awful work in the past that paid enough to make it worthwhile.      
    If this is a freebie or a vague promise of points and future returns then it needs to be something good or it will it be good networking opportunity? 

When you say that slight changes to the rhythms put him off, I’d see that as a clear flag that you aren’t going to enjoy it but if you sort the finances and benefits  before going any further.
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    Sorry if I’ve missed this but what is your actual role in the project?

Are you being asked to engineer/produce/mix it? 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6695
    Two options. 

1) walk away and thank him for the offer,
    2) make a proper professional contact including payment for hours rehearsing, creative input, royalties if it comes to anything and ask him to sign on the dotted line. 

I like the Tommy Tedesco rules. I have had a similar thing since I started out which is based on the vintage board game by Waddingtons called "Careers", where each player had to earn 60 points based on three criteria, fame, wealth and happiness. 

So I usually judge each incoming gig/session/project on those three criteria, which are basically the same as the TT rules. 
    Will it earn me a fat wedge? Will it be huge fun (lots of good possibilities here)? Will it give me a real possibility of more work/fame/glory/genuine exposure (TV, radio, media reviews etc). 

If the balance is "yes" then I do the gig.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31620
    Walk away. I have done this so many times with singer songwriters in my own studio and it always keeps me awake at night trying to build an arrangement. 

I do take on single songs on this basis now, or occasionally a couple, but trying to make a four track EP diverse and interesting takes way more effort than the wanker who wrote the songs bothered to put in. 

To be fair, I'm at the amateur end of the recording scale which means that I'm always going to be a turd polisher, but half a dozen of the artists I've recorded over the last 20 years have made it all worthwhile. 
  • johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 393
    If you don't like the music don't do it...or on the basis that very little recorded music will make money just do it for the crack and not take it too seriously .If you help make it sound half decent the guy will be really chuffed and it's nice to be involved in something original - I think. If you've got better things to do then I'd do that instead.
    Don't be too hard on the songs, most bands/artists songs sound similar - that's kind of what they get through on isn't it? In a wedding band your playing hit song after hit song by different artists in different styles, keys etc. Your not going to get all that from one singer songwriter. But if you really don't like it you might not have your heart in it