Price drop. Discontinued?

What's Hot
BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2200
I’ve just seen that these have dropped by about £75 today everywhere. https://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-vintage-modified-mustang-sonic-blue/68641?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsf_T4cqC2wIVSY0bCh1TvA6WEAkYAyABEgLY-_D_BwE

I am am holding out for a Fender Sinic Blue Cobain Mustang to come up for sale, however if these are a pinto be discointinued I might just grab one. I guess there will be no rosewood boards going forward even if they do continue. 

Any thoughts? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    The price of all Squiers at GAK seems to have decreased.  Perhaps Fender have realised that extorting money out of musicians has not proved as fruitful as they thought it would have been. 

Their prices along with Roland/Boss went up on a weekly, almost daily basis.  Of course the weak pound pushed prices across all brands up but those two really went to town with the increases from what I saw.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2200
    Maybe they have just adjusted them for the new exchange rate. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14493
    If Fender is reserving rosewood for premium American guitars and using substitute timbers for the remainder of the range, it is probable that several of the Squier VM series instruments are gone for good.

It would be reasonable to assume that manufacture ceased in reaction to the 2016/17 CITES regulation changes. It has just taken until mid-2018 for stocks to run out.

It is also reasonable to assume that the Fender KC Mustang model is a superior product to the Squier VM - even after extensive modification.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Arktik83 said:
    The price of all Squiers at GAK seems to have decreased.  Perhaps Fender have realised that extorting money out of musicians has not proved as fruitful as they thought it would have been. 

Their prices along with Roland/Boss went up on a weekly, almost daily basis.  Of course the weak pound pushed prices across all brands up but those two really went to town with the increases from what I saw.
    Yeah Boss stuff has been up and down. The DD500 was around £315 most places last year, then £299, then up to £349 earlier this year, now it's back to £295.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9658
    edited May 2018
    The price drops on the MIM Classic Lacquer Strats (see my other thread) made me wonder if it was anticipation of a revamp. Those have had Pau Ferro boards for a couple of years, unlike the Squier VMs.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5434
    edited May 2018
    Fender price drops almost always presage a model refresh or an outright discontinuation (maybe of just a specific colour, for example). Prices otherwise only go up!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 777
    It might be down to Squier changing from rosewood to Indian Laurel. The latest bass vi models now have Indian Laurel boards.

I hope they revamp the colours on the VM range, it' been a while.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2200
    They are still £370 from Fender and can be ordered with rosewood or Indian Laurel. Not are the same price. I guess this drop is to clear the last stocks of the Rosewoods from the stores.