Incandescent bulbs: will be banned from sale in the UK from September 2018

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    fandango said:
    What about some more success stories for lightbulbs that’s aren’t GU10?

I've got some bayonet fitting LEDs (Phillips I think) in two or three rooms.  They are good.  Not a single failure as yet.  Much better light than the CFLs they replaced, and slightly lower energy usage as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    crunchman said:

Much better light than the CFLs they replaced, and slightly lower energy usage as well.
    I would say about half, for the same brightness.

One of the problems that was responsible for the anti-“eco bulb” reaction to CFLs is the exaggerated claim for equivalent power - the ones that are supposed to be equivalent to a 60W incandescent are nowhere near, more like a 40W at best.

The lesson seems to have been learned with the LEDs - either they’re more accurate to the true lumen figure, or there’s just something more natural about the light which doesn’t have that ‘dim’ quality that CFLs do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    The only thing I liked about CFLs is when I had to get up in the middle of the night.  Because they came on so slowly, it gave your eyes time to adjust.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I remember the original Lava Lamps that used to catch fire with consummate ease... As a consequence I wouldn't go near one from a car boot
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The only thing I liked about CFLs is when I had to get up in the middle of the night.  Because they came on so slowly, it gave your eyes time to adjust.
    I’ve still got one in the wall light over the bed for exactly that reason! You can’t see the typical weird CFL colour because it’s got a frosted glass front on it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917
    So how are we to dispose of our nasty CFL bulbs? 

I have one here that has a little picture of a wheelie bin on it, with a cross through it, and the letters "Hg" (which I'm assuming is the chemical symbol for mercury).  I suppose that means "Don't put it in the bin".

Are there light-bulb recycling points where you live?  There don't seem to be any around here.

• exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Nitefly said:
    So how are we to dispose of our nasty CFL bulbs? 

I have one here that has a little picture of a wheelie bin on it, with a cross through it, and the letters "Hg" (which I'm assuming is the chemical symbol for mercury).  I suppose that means "Don't put it in the bin".

Are there light-bulb recycling points where you live?  There don't seem to be any around here.

My local dump....sorry "recycling centre" has a bin for old CFL lamps.
  • Seymour1Seymour1 Frets: 85
    Nitefly said:

Larger Tesco stores have a recycling point inside the store for batteries, light bulbs, water filters, printer cartridges etc
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917
    @exocet & @Seymour1 - thanks chaps, I'll check at Tesco later.

• Seymour1Seymour1 Frets: 85
    Nitefly said:
    @exocet & @Seymour1 - thanks chaps, I'll check at Tesco later.

Not immediately obvious where they are even when you use the store regularly so worth asking at the customer service desk.

At the store I use the recycling bank is coloured light green and pushed up against the wall close to the tills but at the far end of the store where you are unlikely to walk past unless using the furthest checkout.

At one time the on line guide to the store listed the recycling point but it no longer does so, so there is now way of knowing whether the store provides recycling without going there.

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4633
    I bought a bunch on expensive LED years ago when they hit the market. All of them failed.
    They have since been replaced by cheap IKEA bulbs and have never had a failure.