Small valve head considerations

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72389
    edited May 2018
    rlw said:
    Butting in to this thread as you've all managed to put me off power scaling and attenuators so I turned my thoughts to the HT1-R as a real possibility.  What cab works best with it? 1 x12", 4 x 8" ?
    In my opinion, the 1x12" from the HT-5 is much better than the 4x8". The 1x10" it used to come with isn't bad either.

Not least because if you do want to experiment with different speakers, there is a much larger range of decent 12" and even 10" options than 8".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    ICBM said:
    rlw said:
    Butting in to this thread as you've all managed to put me off power scaling and attenuators so I turned my thoughts to the HT1-R as a real possibility.  What cab works best with it? 1 x12", 4 x 8" ?
    In my opinion, the 1x12" from the HT-5 is much better than the 4x8". The 1x10" it used to come with isn't bad either.

Not least because if you do want to experiment with different speakers, there is a much larger range of decent 12" and even 10" options than 8".
    Thanks - cheaper to find secondhand too....................
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • AnacharsisAnacharsis Frets: 200
    ICBM said:
    rlw said:

I had the 4x8" (it took some effort to find, too), but I also liked the 1x12" a lot more.

Echoing another opinion from earlier in the thread, I find the most satisfying sounds from the HT-1RH to be in the clean channel turned up, not the drive channel. The drive channel can be fun, but it loses some expressiveness, at least with my playing, unless the gain knob is backed off quite a bit.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4699
    ICBM said:
    rlw said:

I had the 4x8" (it took some effort to find, too), but I also liked the 1x12" a lot more.

Echoing another opinion from earlier in the thread, I find the most satisfying sounds from the HT-1RH to be in the clean channel turned up, not the drive channel. The drive channel can be fun, but it loses some expressiveness, at least with my playing, unless the gain knob is backed off quite a bit.
    What did you prefer in the 1x12"?  
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.