Gil Yaron pickups

What's Hot
bdmaniabdmania Frets: 2

Hi I am a newbie here

Anyone experienced this nice pickups?

I am using Gibson les paul R9 Tom Murphy aged and I do not like the stock pickups

I need one with more clear and rich sound, people around me recommend this one

Will that be a good choice? Better than other boutique pickups?

Price doesn't really matter to me... only sound matters

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited May 2018
    If price is no objection to you. The ones I would probably try are K&T pickups. The winder is the same guy who created DRY Z pickups for maxon/greco in the 80s. I have a couple of guitars with the DRY Z and they sound as good if not better then most vintage PAFs I've tried.

The K&T are currently produced, using NOS wire unfortunately they are very expensive, as in ridiculously expensive.

I'm also curious to try OX4s with alnico 3 magnets and in fact I'm going to have them in a guitar quite soon.

http://music.geocities.jp/kt_vintage_guitars/kthomepage/03ktlimited.html#nosweep

http://music.geocities.jp/kt_vintage_guitars/kthomepage/03ktlimited.html#nnw
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16119
    I have to say I'm not a big fan of OX4.....very articulate but I find they can be very bright and I have played 4 different guitars with them in .
    I like Lollar Imperials or Throwback...........I also very much like the Seth Lover PAF which sounds superb although they are very feedback prone .......in fact, these were the best sounding to my ears but could be a bit microphonic
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I love the way how these threads inevitably turn into a massive list of pretty much everything. 

So I will help it along a little

Seymour Duncan's antiquities
    Mojo pickups
    Monty's pickups
    Oil city pickups
    Bare knuckle pickups
    Emgs
    DiMarzio
    Alegree
    Tone riders

And I'm bored
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    I like the lollar imperials quite a bit, I have a set on a Warren Haynes ES-335, however they sound and react nothing like old gibson PAFs. Very different pickup in my opinion.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1025
    There's that dirty word 'better' again, which I believe translates as 'more to my taste'. From reading many very similar threads, the only way to really find out is to buy them, try them, and if you don't like them, sell them and buy some others. You'll find many brands available used, so it won't be that expensive a quest I would imagine. One man's 'beautiful airy highs' are another's 'ice pick hell'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14310
    tFB Trader
    There's that dirty word 'better' again, which I believe translates as 'more to my taste'. From reading many very similar threads, the only way to really find out is to buy them, try them, and if you don't like them, sell them and buy some others. You'll find many brands available used, so it won't be that expensive a quest I would imagine. One man's 'beautiful airy highs' are another's 'ice pick hell'.
    so true - especially the last phrase - and some sound great in one LP but take them out and put in another LP and somehow they don't work - There is an element that some LP's have a natural brighter or indeed darker voice so sometimes you need to match this acoustic voice to the pick-up - even Alnico 11, 111 or V in different pick-ups like on an OX4 - Sometimes it is the finer nuances in the voice that are different and therefore work for you over another pick-up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    I love the way how these threads inevitably turn into a massive list of pretty much everything. 

Mojo pickups
    Monty's pickups
    Oil city pickups
    Bare knuckle pickups
    Emgs
    DiMarzio
    Alegree
    Tone riders

And I'm bored
    Jeez man. Where is your head even AT!? Novak? Creamery?! :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    edited May 2018
    despite my recommendations in the previous post I agree with pretty much everything @victorludorum said.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    JerkMoans said:

Mojo pickups
    Monty's pickups
    Oil city pickups
    Bare knuckle pickups
    Emgs
    DiMarzio
    Alegree
    Tone riders

And I'm bored
    Jeez man. Where is your head even AT!? Novak? Creamery?! :D 
    got bored mate :-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • bdmaniabdmania Frets: 2

I agree with you guys.. it is matter of my taste

I will buy one by next week and try it on first

Thanks guys

• johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    edited May 2018
    I might have missed it, but did you actually tell us what pickups are currently in your guitar? Also, you haven’t been very clear about what improvement you’re looking for - I’m afraid that “clear and rich” seems quite general to me.

What pickups you have, what gear you play through, and what kind of sounds you’re aiming for are the basic pieces of necessary info in order to help people make an educated recommendation imo.

sound like a beautiful guitar though. Any photos?
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3089
    I know I'm about 10 years behind but I like Jim Wagner's stuff still. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5055
    I know I'm about 10 years behind but I like Jim Wagner's stuff still. 
    Me too.

And Wizz pickups. Although I’ve never tried them, it’s just that they haven’t been mentioned yet. :)

bdmania said: Price doesn't really matter to me... only sound matters
    In that case I’ve got an AMAZING-sounding set of Gibson Custom Buckers here that you can have for just £500!  ;)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/