Arm pain after playing

What's Hot
VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
I have gigged and rehearsed weekly for the last 3 or 4 years but recently after playing it's sore to to straighten out my left arm. Fine when playing though. 
Also it is more sore if I clench my fist then bend and straighten it. Not something I have had before.
Any ideas? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    The best thing to do is see a Doctor.   Is your left hand your fretting hand?

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4187
    is the little finger and outside of your ring finger experiencing numbness ? if so, it could be Ulnar nerve damage 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Left hand is my fretting hand Dulcet. No numbness tho
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24831
    Do you wear your guitar low? 

What gauge strings do you use?
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    What guitar? Is the neck slim?
    Both guitars have chunky necks and I don't wear them low slung. I use 10-52 on Tele and hyrid set on the PRS (although I just got that recently) I play the Suhr 95% of the time and have done regularly live and rehearsing for 4 years - it's fairly recent

• mistercharliemistercharlie Frets: 333
    Vaiai said:
    Fine when playing though.
    Obviously you should just never stop playing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 659

Could it be down to your technique?

I was getting hand cramp across the centre of my hand as I used to wrap my thumb over the neck.

I've been forcing myself to position my thumb on the back of the neck & its helped a lot, especially when playing my Mustang which has a super slim neck.

JD50 said:

Could it be down to your technique?

I don't think I am doing anything different but willing to try different things - I'm 47 and have played the same pretty much since I was 15! I was more into Ibanez style necks back then and into my 20's - have played chunkier necks since then and used the same Tele for the last 3 yrs
    I am not a thumb over neck player either. Although, I do sometimes do that on longer gigs when barre chords start to hurt now I think about it...
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    In the words of the fair Mrs Moans, who is herself a doctor: ‘tell him to see his doctor’.

You don’t want some sort of RSI or tendonitis cramping your rock n roll style.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    JerkMoans said:
    In the words of the fair Mrs Moans, who is herself a doctor: ‘tell him to see his doctor’.

You don’t want some sort of RSI or tendonitis cramping your rock n roll style.
    No, I def don't want that. I just joined a new band and have a 50 song set to learn in 7 weeks :)
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    "Doctor, it hurts when I do this"

"Well, don't do it then"
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Seriously though, is it joint, tendon, or muscle pain? Can it be relieved by for example Iboprufen Gel? Does it happen when you stand to play AND if you sit to play, or just one of them?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • vizviz Frets: 10700
    edited May 2018
    Do you wear your guitar low? 

Does it wobble to and fro? Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Is the source of pain the elbow? You might have tennis elbow. I had tennis elbow some years back and certain activities brought the pain on, unrelated to the activity that originally kicked it off. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    My Dr gave me a gentle exercise to cure tennis elbow and it worked. I'll try to describe it if the OP turns out to have TE ...
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6694
    Could be either tennis elbow, golfers elbow or both. If you get your ring and little finger going numb then it's tendon/nerve compression in your shoulder. If it's numbness in your middle, inder and thumb then possibly carpel tunnel issues. 

See your quack doctor most definitely. ASAP. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Are you a smoker?
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I'm assuming you play with a flat pick, I had the same problem in both arms a few years back,  after about 15 years of playing nothing but classical guitar, the last 10 years of which I was playing over 100 gigs a year and practicing a lot on off days.  Between the fretting hand and the fingerpicking hand being overworked I developed RSI (repetitive strain injury/tennis elbow) in both arms.  My Doctor diagnosed it as such and said it wasn't causing permanent damage but it's going to hurt until I stop playing for a month or so.  He also recommended that I change styles and  do exercises, as   Phil_aka_Pip  said.  They are easy and they work.  My Dr. also told me to get a simple arm brace and wear it just below the elbow to relieve the pain.  Most drug stores sell these and it was amazing how much relief they offered.   Firmly grip your ailing  arm just below the elbow and see if you feel a difference.  Anyway, see your Dr. for sure.  As it turned out for me, I was burning out mentally as well at the time and wanted a change, so it wasn't a big problem for me to take break and redirect my energy.  I now play some fingerstyle but mostly use a pick and play more steel string electric and acoustic with a band and have no pain at all now.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    edited May 2018
    I'll message you 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Vaiai said:
    I have gigged and rehearsed weekly for the last 3 or 4 years but recently after playing it's sore to to straighten out my left arm. Fine when playing though. 
    Also it is more sore if I clench my fist then bend and straighten it. Not something I have had before.
    Any ideas? 
    Unless I've missed it, you've not said where in your am you are feeling pain.
    I'm guessing elbow?  But you could mean your shoulder, wrist, or even your neck for all that. 
    If the pain is bothering you then yep, have it checked out by a doctor or even a physio who would check and be able to tell if you need to be packed off to a doctor.  Many doctors will likely send you to a physio anyway if your problem is musculoskeletal.