Returning pickups that were bought online

ramones1234ramones1234 Frets: 21
What is the standard practice of buying pickups here (either locally or within the EU)? Since there is no way of knowing what the pickups will sound like in a specific guitar, Seymour Duncan offer a return policy that goes like "If you’re not 100% pleased with the sound of your Seymour Duncan pickups, you can exchange them for up to 21 days after purchase". That means it's ok to install a pickup, see if you like it, and then return/exchange it. But that's of course SD policy and not a law (and they're based in the US), and since, in Europe, we would buy pickups from a store rather than directly from SD, I wonder whether anyone has tried to return pickups that they have installed in their guitar and didn't like?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Can't speak for anyone else, but that's how my exchange/refund policy works. It'd be a bit ridiculous to expect people to decide if they're satisfied before trying, wouldn't it?

I wouldn't anticipate any other company to work differently, but dealing with a US company would delay/complicate things somewhat (not to mention the horrid exchange rate either).
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    What is the standard practice of buying pickups here (either locally or within the EU)? Since there is no way of knowing what the pickups will sound like in a specific guitar, Seymour Duncan offer a return policy that goes like "If you’re not 100% pleased with the sound of your Seymour Duncan pickups, you can exchange them for up to 21 days after purchase". That means it's ok to install a pickup, see if you like it, and then return/exchange it. But that's of course SD policy and not a law (and they're based in the US), and since, in Europe, we would buy pickups from a store rather than directly from SD, I wonder whether anyone has tried to return pickups that they have installed in their guitar and didn't like?
    SD policy, as you typed it, offers exchange but no refund.  Buyer beware otherwise, as once you've wired them up, you will have breached most companies' return policy.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    Furthermore, the Duncan 21 day return policy is only applicable within the U.S. The U.K. distributor is under no legal or moral obligation to uphold the return policy.

The economics of purchasing Duncan pickups from a U.S. retailer on the off chance that you might wish to return them to the United States are not viable. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Even then you need to find the pickups sweet spot which is often not apparent when you first install  them .
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    ... especially if your strings are brand new and yielding maximum treble.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • i found the answer: The Liberator!
  • the answer The Liberator!