Jackson JT6 behind the nut string lock

What's Hot
kipplekipple Frets: 354
I recently bought a very lovely old Jackson guitar and it has the JT6 behind the nut string lock.
The String lock has inside the housing 3 string clamp blocks and a one piece plastic shim that sits on top of all 3 clamp blocks.

I need to know where the strings are meant to be positioned in relation to the Clamps and the shim.

Is it
1st way From top to bottom should it be clamps at the bottom then strings on top the clamps and the plastic shim on top of the strings.
Or is it
2nd way From top to bottom clamps on the bottom then the shim on top of the clamps and strings on top of the shim.

It can be set up either way but which way is correct ? 
Is anyone here familiar with this system 
I put peoples heads in horse's beds

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11600
    tFB Trader
    I am and have several sat here
    My full width plastic shim sits under the whole locking nut
    The three metal plates are raised and lowered by the three big bolts.

I did have my trem unit upgraded with a large cold rolled steel block and have changed the push in arm to one of the new Floyd push in arms (I had to drill out the soft metal of the baseplate a little)

The JT6 has a lot of drawbacks but has a nice narrow string spacing - like a Gibson

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kipplekipple Frets: 354
    edited May 2018
    I am and have several sat here
    My full width plastic shim sits under the whole locking nut
    The three metal plates are raised and lowered by the three big bolts.

I did have my trem unit upgraded with a large cold rolled steel block and have changed the push in arm to one of the new Floyd push in arms (I had to drill out the soft metal of the baseplate a little)

The JT6 has a lot of drawbacks but has a nice narrow string spacing - like a Gibson
    I have seen the ones that go under the whole locking nut but this is a Plastic shim that sits inside the housing on top of the three clamps with the three big bolts and it is that one that I refer to.
    I would not of noticed it unless I had done string change

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14474
    kipple said:
    this is a Plastic shim that sits inside the housing on top of the three clamps with the three big bolts and it is that one that I refer to. I would not of noticed it unless I had done string change
    The whole point of that Kahler-style behind-the-nut string clamp is that two metal faces bear down onto the strings.

By definition, plastic spacers pieces will detract from the functionality of the clamp. They have no business being there. The one possible explanation that comes to mind is that the original locking blocks have been replaced with something of insufficient thickness.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • kipplekipple Frets: 354
    edited May 2018
    kipple said:
    this is a Plastic shim that sits inside the housing on top of the three clamps with the three big bolts and it is that one that I refer to. I would not of noticed it unless I had done string change
    The whole point of that Kahler-style behind-the-nut string clamp is that two metal faces bear down onto the strings.

By definition, plastic spacers pieces will detract from the functionality of the clamp. They have no business being there. The one possible explanation that comes to mind is that the original locking blocks have been replaced with something of insufficient thickness.
    The shim does not have any negative effect on the performance of the trem in terms of tuning stability but it does effect the break angle behind the nut depending on whether the strings are on top of the shim or underneath it.

The thickness of the clamp blocks makes no difference as they are under the strings and they clamp the strings upwards against the housing.
    I did wonder if someone added it in and I think it may be possible it was added because the housing is possibly damaged from the strings creating grooves and the shim would provide a new flat surface. I will take it apart tommorow to take a look.