Musicman/ Ernie ball silhouette

What's Hot
TedTed Frets: 126
HI - Sorry to ask for yet more advice. I think i've decided i want a musicman after seeing various videos of it in action, but i could get any of the sellers on this site to come down to the sort of price i could justify.

I came across this  this one(link attached), i suspect it's been well used. Before I go out to try i t out. I wondered if anyone could spot any issues from the not very good photos.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/ernie-ball-musicman-silhouette-/1298787067#. Thank you for you attention.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Have you played one before?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TedTed Frets: 126
    No But have done quite a lot of research on the web into its sound - particularly the Silhouette, to establish it's the sound i want
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3137
    Looks very good to me, older 6 screw neck joint should have DiMarzios in it and nifty attachment to change the whole scratch plate as one unit. 
    Play my silhouette as my main guitar alternating with my Eggle can’t go wrong. Playing tip use the volume pot there is a lot of difference between 10 and 8 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Ted said:
    No But have done quite a lot of research on the web into its sound - particularly the Silhouette, to establish it's the sound i want
    You can't get a true reflection of the sound via the web, YouTube or whatever. 
    You really need to plug one in. It's not a cheap punt
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Ted said:
    You can't get a true reflection of the sound via the web, YouTube or whatever. 
    You really need to plug one in. It's not a cheap punt.

You are right of course. I would not buy it without trying it first, but it's quite a long journey and I wanted to establish that of it's make it was OK. In terms of comparison I've played cheaper guitars like Hoehners and Squiers so I would expect this to be considerably better than those.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    edited May 2018
    For £250 more I'd buy this one:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/253607964225

Looks in a better nick, modern rounded neck joint, locking tuners and tremolo which is the best one I've used so far. You can always block it if you decide you won't be using it.
    It's also buy now or best offer so you could possibly get a better deal than what it is at the moment.
    I had an ss special, great guitar, prefered a neck on axis tho, you can check my youtube Maroon clip if you fancy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4801
    My "go to" guitar looks just like this Silhouette, except mine has a rosewood fretboard and was made in '89. The serial no of this one (assuming it's the original plate) makes it a 1990. The finish used to be called "honeyburst". A lot of guitar for that price. 
    I emailed the seller about condition. He said the electrics and pickups were original, but that the frets had recently been 'dressed' - is this good or bad?
    Just waned to say thank you for all the advice.But  I  wanted to clarify with somebody - when the seller says that the frets have been dressed - does that mean the guitar has seen a lot of use to have to be serviced in this way
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3339
    Dressing the frets is quite normal and me personally I’d want to know it’s been done on a guitar of this age. 
    Mask for a close up of the frets so you can see them?
    Thank you
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    edited May 2018
    grungebob said:
    Dressing the frets is quite normal and me personally I’d want to know it’s been done on a guitar of this age. 
    Mask for a close up of the frets so you can see them?

Agreed. Providing frets have been done well is a plus point. You do not see many EBMM guitars down at that level of pricing. If you like the feel and it plays well it looks a good buy. They are superbly built. Many find the 6 bolt necks a plus point too altho I have 5 EBMMs all 5 bolters and the necks do not move in the pocket at all.

Sometimes evidence a guitar has had a lot of use is a good thing cos it means it is a good player and regular use also means well looked after service wise even if they pick up a few battle scars along the way. That looks a nice colour configuration.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

bazxkr said:

'Agreed. Providing frets have been done well is a plus point. You do not see many EBMM guitars down at that level of pricing. If you like the feel and it plays well it looks a good buy. They are superbly built. Many find the 6 bolt necks a plus point too altho I have 5 EBMMs a'l 5 bolters and the necks do not move in the pocket at all.'

Thank you for your advice. But I am coming at the used guitar market with the atitude of a second hand car buyer. If I wanted to buy a thirty old car even if it was in very good condition I would not expect to pay more than 10% of the  current new purchase price -  on this basis this guitar should be going for £200. But maybe this logic is flawed in some way.

Per

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1468
    edited May 2018
    Ted said:
    Thank you for your advice. But I am coming at the used guitar market with the atitude of a second hand car buyer. If I wanted to buy a thirty old car even if it was in very good condition I would not expect to pay more than 10% of the  current new purchase price -  on this basis this guitar should be going for £200. But maybe this logic is flawed in some way.
    Just a bit, aye.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3339
    Yeah that logic doesn’t carry over into the used guitar market. For a fair reflection of used market values check out sold items on reverb and eBay 
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3991
    Ted said:
    Interesting viewpoint which I think may have some merit.

Apropos of nothing whatsoever, do you have any guitars you're interested in selling?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    prlgmnr said:
    Ted said:
    Interesting viewpoint which I think may have some merit.

Apropos of nothing whatsoever, do you have any guitars you're interested in selling?
    Much as I hate to miss the opportunity to sell something, only an Earth Fire acoustic that needs restringing. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1962
    edited May 2018
    @Ted ;I have a Silhouette Special that I'd sell for £750. It's Sunburst colour (same as the eBay listing above).

I bought it in SSS config but currently it has HSS fitted (the body was already factory routed for a Humbucker). I say HSS, more accurately it's HHH but with Dimarzio Andy Timmons AT-1 in bridge and Cruiser in Neck / Middle. 

Happy to include both scratch plates loaded with pickups.

I live in Kent.

PM me if your interested. I can sort out pictures tomorrow. 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3137
    edited May 2018
    exocet said:
    @Ted ;;I have a Silhouette Special that I'd sell for £750. It's Sunburst colour (same as the eBay listing above).

I bought it in SSS config but currently it has HSS fitted (the body was already factory routed for a Humbucker). I say HSS, more accurately it's HHH but with Dimarzio Andy Timmons AT-1 in bridge and Cruiser in Neck / Middle. 

Happy to include both scratch plates loaded with pickups.

I live in Kent.

PM me if your interested. I can sort out pictures tomorrow. 
    Nb Silhouette special 22 fret the one your looking at 24 fret although both good value and no doubt great guitars. @exocet guitar would probably tip it for me with the trem and extra pickups (and rosewood board but that’s a personal thing)
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom