Ebay content REALLY??

jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12389
edited May 2018 in Guitar
So £750 for a cheap Korean Tokai because it's *shudders* RARE!

I presume it plays like crap because for only £450 extra you can have it set up with some Bare Knuckles.

I pity the fool that buys this....

Edit, just to clarify, im not saying that korean Tokai are bad, ive had them and they are good but this guy is in dream land.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/tokai-love-rock/192530357286?hash=item2cd3b41c26:g:rt4AAOSwjB9a7Dz~

"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3517
    Have you seen his other auctions? Over 2k for a Thorens Td150? I sold one, virtually brand new, completley rewired, original as new packaging, original manuals etc etc for 250 quid and even then I thought that was steep. And who are Def-tone guitars?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    He's perfectly entitled to put any price he wants on it. Maybe his wife told him to thin his beloved collection
  • SCMIVSCMIV Frets: 14
    edited May 2018
    I paid around what he's charging (minus customs charges) for an actual MIJ, so he must be hopeful he don't actually sell.

The ridiculous price aside, If a guitar has outstanding issues to be sorted- i.e. fretwork (because you don't get a fret-dress done for shits and giggles), then do that before you sell, or reduce the price (i.e. not inflate it) to indicate that it needs it. Mind you, that's a f**king expensive fret-dress given that bare knuckle sets are, what - 200 notes?

I'm pretty sure Korean Tokai's had serial numbers though?

I'm surprised he didn't mention the bigsby...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14505
    Some people sincerely believe their own hype. 

I once had a youngster trying to tell me that his purple LTD blob-o-caster with Duncan Designed pickups was "worth a grand" even though I knew where it had been purchased ... at a colossal discount to get shot of it ... because it was a clunker.

The lad was not attempting to sell me his guitar. I suspect that I was supposed to be impressed or something. I refrained from telling him what my bass rig cost.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3517
    See the problem with people like this is, other people see these auctions and price their stuff the same, then before you know it you cant buy them for much less and the average Joe cant afford fuck all, meanwhile there is loads of bullshit about how these pretty mundane, ordinary guitars are all of a sudden the tits and no one really noticed them until lately. Just look at some ''Vintage'' Squiers,  I remember in the early 90's when they actually were pretty shit, now though they must be this hidden gem worth many hundreds because no one seems to remember how shit they actually were.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    robgilmo said:
    See the problem with people like this is, other people see these auctions and price their stuff the same, then before you know it you cant buy them for much less and the average Joe cant afford fuck all, meanwhile there is loads of bullshit about how these pretty mundane, ordinary guitars are all of a sudden the tits and no one really noticed them until lately. Just look at some ''Vintage'' Squiers,  I remember in the early 90's when they actually were pretty shit, now though they must be this hidden gem worth many hundreds because no one seems to remember how shit they actually were.
    I think it's the 80s Squiers that were actually good.

I don't think it's any kind of hidden gem or fluke - just that Fender didn't spec them for as low a budget as they do now.

Re: the price though - it's supply and demand. The price will only go up across the board if people are actually willing to pay that for them. People can set any price they want - it just annoys me when they overvalue it and no one is going to buy it so they'll lower it in a week or two's time - it just wastes everyone's time.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14505
    robgilmo said:
    See the problem with people like this is, other people see these auctions and price their stuff the same
    Would you Adam and Eve it?

Vendors want to set their asking prices high and tFB tightwads expect prices to stay low. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.