Gumtree monstrosity of the day

What's Hot
ColsCols Frets: 7074
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    That's a 'Midnight Special' not an L6-S, and - especially in that condition - that price is... optimistic.

But they're actually quite nice guitars.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Love the nod to one on ebay going for £1750, as if that justifies this example as a £1,000 bargain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    At well less than the asking price, this could make a nice refinishing project.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14511
    Over-priced but could be refurbished. 

Normally, by now, Lord Seven would have posted a comment, expressing his liking for Gibson's Norlin era, just not at the Gumtree price.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    ICBM said:
    That's a 'Midnight Special' not an L6-S, and - especially in that condition - that price is... optimistic.

But they're actually quite nice guitars.
    1978 L6-S Deluxe - Midnight Specials had bolt on necks. Nothing wrong with it, apart from everything that's wrong with it.
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    Over-priced but could be refurbished. 

Normally, by now, Lord Seven would have posted a comment, expressing his liking for Gibson's Norlin era, just not at the Gumtree price.
    Indeed I do. However, I was busy buying shite at the PMT Bootsale.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14511
    FatPete said:
    1978 L6-S Deluxe - Midnight Specials had bolt on necks. Nothing wrong with it, apart from everything that's wrong with it.
    How many CSL L-6 copies would £1k purchase? ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4933
    I think I'll give it a miss.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7074
    Looks like it’s ‘enjoyed’ some modifications - I’m sure neither of the pickups are original, and it appears to have been refinished with Ronseal decking stain.
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    I’ve actually played it as I bought a speaker cab of the guy last year. It actually played really nicely and sounded great. Needs a darn good cleaning up though! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    FatPete said:

1978 L6-S Deluxe - Midnight Specials had bolt on necks.
    Ah, yes - I was misled by the simpler controls. I had both an L6-S (ebony board) and a Midnight Special (burgundy sparkle) briefly in the 80s, but I forgot about the bolt neck. The L6-S was really quite nice.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    I quite like that in a beaten-up, should-be-500-quid, single-cut-SG sort of way.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires